1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Research On How Mindfulness Training Improves Health

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Ellen, Feb 16, 2015.

1. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Summary: Over the past decade, there have been many encouraging findings suggesting that mindfulness training can improve a broad range of mental and physical health problems. Yet, exactly how mindfulness positively impacts health is not clear. Researchers have developed a model suggesting that mindfulness influences health via stress reduction pathways.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/release...ind_brain+(Mind+&+Brain+News+--+ScienceDaily)

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Thanks, Ellen. I opened that link and think it does a good, if brief, job of explaining
    how mindfulness helps reduce stress that causes illness. There are many other reports on this
    and they're worth reading, or watch the videos. Living in the present can be hard to do,
    especially when we're worried or angry about something. But knowing our pains are being
    caused by TMS repressed emotions or a perfectionist or "goodist" personality can help keep us focused
    on the present moment. Maybe we can even laugh about the worry. When I do, it goes away
    because I put my mind in the present moment, not thinking about yesterday or tomorrow.

Nattycakes likes this.
  3. Nattycakes

Nattycakes Peer Supporter

Thank you so much for sharing! Mindfulness is a great tool. Walt you are so right... When we start to worry and stress about things.. If we just come back to the present moment, and focus on that.. Those thoughts dissipate. Thoughts feed on each other.. And it's not fun when those thoughts are negative, and fear based.

Interesting concept though that I wanted to share.. After reading this..

I think that we need mindfulness to use as a tool.. But it is also important to release those pent up emotions. It's like having some major emotional issue.. Then forgetting about it and looking and thinking about a cute puppy instead.

It's important to be aware of TMS and where that thing is stemming from.

Mindfulness helps us with taking control of our minds.. Stopping the stress response and cortisol dumping. However.. You still need to deal with or be aware of the anger as well! Or whatever it is that you need to face that TMS is telling you :)

Definitely knowing that the pain is TMS is the key! And I realize that some of us just need to know that it is TMS and it disappears.. And others have a lot more to deal with to fully heal. But mindfulness is an amazing tool to use!

I had watched a video about this concept.. And I really liked the puppy analogy! TMS is a diversion. And once you shine the light on it... It has nowhere to hide.

Laudisco and Ellen like this.
  4. Laudisco

Laudisco Well known member

Thanks for the link! I am starting to practice mindfulness exercises, and I have found them quite helpful in reducing my stress. I decided to go for a "mindful" walk yesterday, and I enjoyed it more than I expected. I consciously focused on the sights and sensations around me, and said things like, "thank you Lord for the wonderful breeze and the beautiful sky".

Nattycakes likes this.