1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Rereading the Mind Body Prescription

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Kittyruns, Dec 21, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Kittyruns

Kittyruns Peer Supporter

Hello everyone! I am committing myself to rereading the works of Dr. Sarno and this morning I found this amazing quote in "The Mind Body Preceription." It just about floored me.

"The mystery was solved. Once accepted by the patient, the KNOWLEDGE of what was going on destroyed the brain's strategy." Dr. John Sarno

This is what this work was all about. I am going to talk to my little overactive brain and tell it, that while I love how it helps me through problem solving and balancing my checkbook (to the penny.....Type AAAAAA), I simply do not need its help trying to divert my attention to my right foot arch or my ribcage or my teeth and jaw!

As the vast majority of us know, Dr. Sarno is a genius! I love his writing style and will be forever grateful for his work!

God Bless each of you on this journey and Happy Holidays!

2. Marinedad

Marinedad Well known member

Same to you ...I feel Steve O book is the real core of healing all the answer are there ..in simple to understand text.

3. Lainey

Lainey Well known member

Agree. Steve O's The Great Pain Deception is an amazing book. After reading the book a couple of years ago, I was asked by a caring relative what was this book I was/had been reading. After beginning to tell her of the premise and a bit of the content of the book I began to have great difficulty breathing, a symptom that had sent me to the emergency room 4 months earlier. I realized this was a symptom imperative reaction and was able to consciously relax (with the help of my husband who put a caring hand on my back while I tried to breathe more calmly). I was able to begin breathing more consciously and was able to stop my airways from closing up as they had 4 mos. prior. I found that I had difficulty explaining his book to other interested persons over the next few months. Yet, I persisted. It seemed that my brain was trying to control my new realizations about healing. Currently I am still in some pain, mostly confined to a hip/thigh. This is nothing compared to the issues I had several years back. I see this receding as well.

Coffeeplease likes this.
  4. Kittyruns

Kittyruns Peer Supporter

I whole heartedly agree about Steve O's writing. I own two of his books. I am also loving Dr. Davis Hanscom's book 'Back in Control' as well! These all work in a great synergy to help those of us with the awareness of TMS to bring it into sharper focus and bit by bit begin to work on taking control of our brain's attempts at protection!

Coffeeplease and Free of Fear like this.
  5. deafheaven

deafheaven Peer Supporter

In my experience "talking to your brain" is not helpful and in some ways perpetuates the pain. You can't beat TMS with methods or strategies. Talking to yourself about TMS to me would reinforce my symptoms.

TMS recovery is about giving up and unlearning your pain... Completely forgetting about the pain by accepting it's existence.

Coffeeplease, westb and Marinedad like this.
  6. Marinedad

Marinedad Well known member

Makes senses to ! I tried that for years and it always got worse.