1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Requesting support !

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by SunnyinFL, Jul 24, 2015.

1. SunnyinFL

SunnyinFL Well known member

Hi! I am half way through the program and have found it scary to give up my coping crutches - i.e., the back brace I wear for back pain, the KT tape I wear from my foot pain. I had what I consider a big breakthrough yesterday. I got up and was going to go to the gym and said to myself, "I am sick of wearing this back brace; I'm sick of taping my feet." So, I said to myself, "what do I need to get rid of the braces which support my areas of pain?" Ah ha! I realized that the reason I wear this braces is that I feel I need more support. I laughed at the obvious connection. I have support from my husband and a few other trusted friends who are not in the TMS program. I thought: If I need support, why not ask for it in the Support Subforum? I'm half-way through the program, but I'm not pain-free. I still need to fully accept the diagnosis. I need to keep feeling my feelings and keep addressing current stressors and my personality traits. I'd love more support, so if you want to support my efforts please just reply that I have your support, too! My conscious and unconscious mind thanks you!

2. David88

David88 Well known member

Hi Sunny,

Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you're on the right track.

You are right to work on giving up your coping crutches. But treat yourself kindly along your healing journey. TMS can be scary to overcome. Don't forget to nurture yourself.

Let us know how things go.

David.

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Suunny, you have my support. Consider yourself hugged.
    I am 85 and healed two years ago from severe back pain after I realized it was from repressing feelings of insecurity when
    my parents divorced when I was seven years old. Journaling in the Structured Educatinal Program led me to realize they
    divorced for financial reasons during the 1930s Great Depression, and I was suffering similar financial worries in the present recession.
    I consider it another Great Depression, but the media and politicians won't admit it. Journaling led me understand my parents better and realize they had TMS pain of their own. My mother had terrible migraines and my father had bad back pain. Understanding them better helped me to forgive them,
    even though they had long passed on. Forgiving them stopped my back pain.

Stop using the "coping crutches" if you can, and believe 100 percent that your pains are from your emotions and are not structural. But be patient with yourself. Only a few people heal completely after just learning about TMS. It took me a few months, as it takes most people.

David88 likes this.
  4. texasgirl

texasgirl Newcomer

Hi Sunny,
    Love your insight! As a newcomer myself, you have my support and admiration for bravely ridding yourself from the physical support items. I, too,got rid of the taping for my back and foot and began making progress.

5. SunnyinFL

Thanks so much, David. Great reminders!

David88 likes this.
  6. SunnyinFL

Thanks, Texas girl! Sounds like we have common symptoms. Good luck to you, too!

7. SunnyinFL

Thanks for sharing, Walt, and also for your insights. Your story is very interesting - it's amazing how childhood memories follow us even after we are well into adulthood. Sounds like maybe you've also forgiven yourself? Thanks for the reminders about being patient - the instant healing I read about at times can be disheartening. I am not having overnight success, but I am learning a lot, "connecting a lot of dots" throughout my life, and trying to be patient! Your support means a lot!

8. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Sunny. Yes, I have forgiven myself, for a lot of things. I am starting to realize I am a much nicer guy than I thought.

A niece and nephew visited me for lunch and we spent nearly three wonderful hours taking about today and the past.
    I think we all got to know each other a lot better.

Understanding people we know and love is so great. It helps lead to forgiving, and forgiveness is key to healing.

Have a great weekend.