1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

repost. no replies .some help

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by ericserpa1, Mar 14, 2016.

1. ericserpa1

ericserpa1 New Member

Hey everybody. I broke my right tibula and fibula pretty bad the tibula was a bit shattered to an extent not overly horrible but a good break. It has been 3 1/2 months now and last week i started using no crutches for a bit i know I over did it when would it be a good idea to start putting pressure on it again. My foots pretty purple still when i stand up and its pretty sore swollen ankle. I've suffer from TMS before twice or three times but i wonder could there be some tms on this fracture site and when would it be safe to test it again.

2. giantsfan

giantsfan Well known member

Are you able to visit a TMS physician?

Tennis Tom likes this.
  3. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

I think it is way too early to know if you have TMS. I would not worry about that part, but take care of your foot and "don't overdo it." What does your regular doctor say?

David88 and Tennis Tom like this.
  4. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Since you know about TMS and found this site, you are way ahead of the curve. Bones fractures heal stronger then they were before. Ask your doctor, he should definitely know the timeline for your type of fractures. Try swimming if you want to maintain your conditioning. The kick in swimming is only 25% of the action. You may also want to try running in the pool, or using a flotation belt for deep water running. At this point a competent doctor or orthopedist should be able to guide you. There's also a sub-forum here where you can ask a TMS therapist who may be able to give you some advice on how to prevent a real trauma structural injury from morphing into TMS.

G'luck!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
    David88 and giantsfan like this.
  5. David88

David88 Well known member

I broke my leg about five years ago, so I've been through what you're experiencing.

You have to follow your doctor's guidance. He/she should give you specific instructions about weight-bearing and the like.

Are you doing physical therapy? They should be helpful, too.

Yes, it's possible for TMS to sneak in where there's an injury, and prolong the rehab process. But 3 1/2 months isn't long enough to worry about that yet. Heal physically first, and then if you're still having difficulty you can address the TMS possibility.

ericserpa1 likes this.
  6. ericserpa1

ericserpa1 New Member

I'm not able to visit a tms doctor from where I live. Thanks for your replies much appreciated. The doctor did give me the ok to put pressure on it but I made the mistake of trying to walk a bit to much to early. I went to see my surgeon he told to me take it easy let it settle down and build you way back up slowly I feel I pushed myself back at least by 2 weeks maybe a bit less . I'm implementing techniques like journaling and structural education program aswell. But ya I'll focus on baby steps this time around I'll keep you guys updated

David88 likes this.
  7. ericserpa1

ericserpa1 New Member

I have been going to physiotherapists and yes they thinks it was a little to early yet.

8. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

Ouch! Sorry to hear about the foot injury, Eric.
    I often find that TMS sneaks in to prolong the recovery from an injury. But I would echo the others here and urge you to follow your doctor's advice. Otherwise you risk re-injury, which is definitely not what you want.

ericserpa1 likes this.
  9. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

If you feel comfortable telling us how you did it, it sounds like it could be a good story. We don't get too many accounts of actual trauma injuries around here.

10. ericserpa1

ericserpa1 New Member

I was snowboarding at powderking ski resort in Canada be. It was early into the season so there were a lot of obstructions and obstacles to watch out for on the hill . With my luck it was the last run of the day so ofcourse I ended up riding in some deep powder and the stump/branch I ran into was hidden in the snow so I didn't see it coming . I hit the piece of wood and it broke my tibula and fibula the tibula was broken pretty bad.