1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 6 Report on Meditation Exercise

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Deepster, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Deepster

Deepster Peer Supporter

I just did the meditation exercise as part of Day 6 of the Educational Program. My mind sure is all over the place! Even just doing the body scan I had to bring my awareness back several times. But I'm not too worried about that... As for how it made me feel, I would say mostly the same, but maybe I had a little bit more space between me and my thoughts. Which is great, I guess.

There is another kind hybrid meditation/journaling exercise that I did recently and found useful. I got it from Georgie Oldfield's SIRPA mailing list.

1) Sit down in a quiet room where you will be undisturbed for 10 – 15 minutes and where you feel comfortable and warm.​

2) Take a pen and paper and start jotting down any words and phrases that come to mind. Just scribble them down, quickly moving on to the next one following your thoughts wherever they take you. This isn't about exploring anything or offloading your feelings, just allowing your brain to offload words and phrases onto paper as they come into your mind until your brain feels less cluttered. Some of the things you have written down might end up on a ‘to do’ list, but you have them on paper now, so you don’t need to try and remember them any more.​

3) Follow this with slow, deep breathing exercises which will help you drift off and sleep as sound a baby, allowing your brain and body to repair itself without the backlog of information overload.​

It was amazing to look down at all my thought 'junk' on a piece of paper!

2. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

I like it, I think your going in a great direction with Georgia Oldfield's SIRPA mailing list.

This is grand, remember the meditation is for soothing ok and very important but all that junk -

on the piece of paper, well that's buried repressions and such, so be at peace with any hurtful messages or memories too ok.

You might have to cry, so go and cry- get it out.

Then just notice its there and stay calm - at peace, then just let the thought go.

In other words never run or put a negative thought back so far that it cant be dealt with.

When you learn to deal with all those repressions then you learn to calm yourself through-

Soothing as stated above ok.

You are well on your way to a shift in the pain. So stay course and keep us updated

Thanks

nowtimecoach likes this.