1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 4 Reponse for day 4 - what a vile doctor...!

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by UkAdR, Mar 4, 2014.

1. UkAdR

UkAdR Peer Supporter

My day 4 response - thanks to those that have commented so far. At the time I saw this doctor I had seen a senior phisiotherapist and was told I have a bulging disc at L5-S1, but the term degenerative disc wasn't used and I had never heard it at this point. To try and give me some more support, my phisio sent me to the pain management clinic for a chat with another doctor there...

"The most disheartening thing a doctor has told me was that I would have to live with my pain for the rest of my life. It was when I got referred to a pain management clinic and went to see about managing my pain. At the time I wasn’t actually in that much pain (compared to how it is now, it was bad to me then though!) and I told him that I was swimming regularly and trying to stay strong. He told me he wished all his patients were like me, which made me feel great. However, he did say that this was it; I would have this pain for the rest of my life. He compared it to having diabetes and said that it would be something I would have to manage rather than cure. I would always need to be careful in how I moved and be careful in everything I did. I would have to be careful in sports and probably not do them anymore.
    This has stayed with me since that day. It has fuelled me more than ever over the years to try and beat the pain, and I can remember swimming lap after lap in the pool saying that if I can beat this pain, it will be the strongest thing I have ever done. But the words it will be with me forever were like a knife to me, and are always with me now."

Thanks,

Adam

Lily Rose likes this.
  2. LindaRK

LindaRK Well known member

I think it's great that you're using the doctor's negativity towards you beating your pain - way to go! Sometimes I think we need to keep a stash of Sarno books (or others) to give to these docs upon our retreat from their office!

Lily Rose likes this.
  3. Lily Rose

Lily Rose Beloved Grand Eagle

Believe in yourself. No one can take up your fight, but we can all support and encourage and empathize. Your Truth is emerging. The words of someone who really doesn't know any better .... let them go. Remove the knife. Gently set it aside.

You can do this. Never doubt that for a single moment.

with grace and gratitude,
    ^_^