1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Releasing Rage...

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Jaxson, Aug 23, 2014.

1. Jaxson

Jaxson New Member

Question and Greetings to All..

I'm new to the concepts of psychotherapy and I'm not sure I would ever be plumbing the depths of my mind for unconscious, repressed emotions through journaling were it not for this thing called TMS. My question is: What of therapies that promote the actual expression of rage and anger; hitting a pillow with a tennis racket, screaming, discharging emotions this way. This would seem to be putting the focus on the emotions. Has anyone experienced this kind of therapy? Is it beneficial? Any thoughts appreciated.

Jaxson

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  2. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

I believe Reichian therapy is what you're referring to. It's always sounded interesting and like a lot of fun to release tension, pounding a mattress with a baseball bat and screaming in a soundproof room, but don't know how it interdigitates with TMS though. Would love to try it, maybe my GF will give me a gift certificate for some for Christmas. I do hit about a thousand tennis balls a day to release tension, or create it, depending how my opponents call the lines.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
    Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  3. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

We can beat things till the cows come home Jaxson but it still will not take away a perfectionist attitude or a bad trigger because we we're shouted at as a child or just trying to be good enough for a zillion reasons and then those unconscious thoughts cause us to eventually get this resoviour of rage that has to be released by coming to terms with our reactions and being at peace with ourselves. So much to explain, Any more questions would probably be good at this time so we can get this conversation rolling. Welcome aboard.

4. tarala

tarala Well known member

Hi Jaxson, I think there is a difference between unresolved rage from early childhood issues (Herbie's "reservoir of rage"), and rage that isn't actually current but is being triggered by a current situation. We can shout all we want but if we don't drain the reservoir, it just pops up again when something triggers it. Which is not to say that hitting a pillow isn't great for you, but is probably best accompanied by journaling or some other way of accessing the primary sources of the anger.

5. Elijah Lynn

Elijah Lynn Peer Supporter

So far, feeling my emotions, definitely includes hitting my mattress or trying to tear a pillow apart. I'm a believer in feeling emotions physically as well as emotionally or mentally. I bring up the repressed emotion, mostly anger almost all of the time, and when I'm alone will let it out physically as well. Feels fucking amazing!!!