1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

releasing anger/rage through tears

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Dakota, Feb 15, 2022.

1. Dakota

Dakota New Member

Hello!
    I just had my therapy. I was full of rage, and after talking for 60 minutes in a very angry way, a t the end of the session I started to cry, and I suddenly felt connected with my emotions. I wasn't feeling connected to my rage, but I felt then connected to my tears.
    Anyone felt or feeling the same?
    Thank you

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

I believe that at the heart of rage is some kind of loss.

3. Dakota

Dakota New Member

Thank you! Would you like to share more about that?

4. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

I guess we could start with Freud's theories about our youngest selves. What I know about his theories is only from Dr. Sarno and Steve Ozanich, but supposedly the earliest loss we suffer is the breaking of the bond with our mothers, which creates the first source of rage. I am not clear whether this can be upon birth, but it's certainly upon being weaned, followed by having to share one's mother with others, such as siblings, etc. You get the idea.

Even more lifelong rage can be generated by the early loss of parental love (abandonment, via death, divorce, mental illness, neglect, abuse), or by the loss of community (isolation, via bullying or segregation). Over one's lifetime, there are any number of situations which result in the loss of connection with one or more other human beings (isolation & abandonment, plus loss of freedom and loss of meaning) and each will generate deep, usually unacknowledged, rage. As one approaches the other end of life, the rage is often about our inevitable mortality - our unfortunate awareness about the ultimate loss, of life.

Loss of connection. Loss of freedom. Loss of meaning. Loss of life. I believe that the deepest negative emotions, including rage, are connected to these four things. Acknowledging and accepting them is an important component of recovery.

5. Dakota

Dakota New Member

Yes, thank u. It resonates a lot with me. Some days ago my meditation guide told me "whatever fear you have, it's related to the fear of death". The awareness that you cannot change the impermanence of everything is very hard to handle. And it totally makes sense, as, for whatever you can do or undo, there is an unconscious frustration that could become rage. And the roots are deeply connected to a universal rule. In my case, I've been abused when I was a child. That's anyway a loss of something:dignity, innocence, balnace, trust, and so many more things. Thank you for sharing.

JanAtheCPA likes this.