1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

RELAXATION TECHNIQUE: Yoga "Valley Point"

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021), Dec 18, 2013.

1. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Yoga Relaxation Technique: “The Valley Point”

If you bite your nails or rub your ear, as one person posted today and asked for a way to stop
    doing those things, I suggested he instead practice the yoga trick of massaging the "valley point" between your thumb and index finger.

Using the thumb and index finger of one hand, massage back and forth and/or in a
    circular motion, between the thumb and index finger on the other hand.
    Massage about 25 times while deep breathing, then repeat on the other hand.
    Breathe deeply through your nose to the count of six, inflating your stomach like a balloon.
    Hold the breath a few seconds. Let out the breath slowly (through your mouth) to the count of about four,
    deflating the balloon in your stomach. On letting out the breath, say "Peace."
    It's very relaxing and you've taken your mind off your nail-biting or ear-pulling.
    Massaging the "valley point" is a healthier thing to do.

And it could relax you before journaling to discover your TMS repressed emotions.

I told my mother about “The Valley Point” when she was in a nursing home at the age of 94 and she said it helped her, so she told others there about it and it helped them, too. Hope it helps you.

It’s something you can do at work, taking a few minutes’ break, or in a car waiting for a red light to turn green. Or waiting while in a doctor’s office. Or in line at a check-out counter.

Or while waiting for your next evening alone with Brad Pitt or Angelina Jolie.

intense50 likes this.
  2. Pingman

Pingman Well known member

Walt...tried this out and it helped me calm down today already

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Pingman, I can't do yoga pretzel movements, but the valley point is easy and I'm so glad it
    has already helped you.

It's great to do anytime day or night, and also in bed if you can't sleep.

Don't think pain or even getting well. Think already being well.

4. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

Classic acupuncture pressure point in the Chinese system. Direct access to the brain.

North Star likes this.
  5. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

I had a badly needed laugh over your comment on Brad Pitt/Angelina evening. Today, hubby and I celebrated our silver wedding anniversary - 25 years. Mother in Law, decided it was a nice evening to sit and chat with us. We had planned a nice dinner and the kids were gone. And then she showed up. So there we sat in the candlelight…just the three of us. :wacky:

I'm going to find something funny to watch on Netflix to help combat the heartburn. While I do this Valley Point technique. (Do you suppose if I had done it on my MIL, it would have made her go home? :facepalm: I'll have to try it next time.) Gee, these emoticons really come in handy!