1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Relapses, how to avoid them...

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by filipe, Sep 13, 2016.

1. filipe

filipe Peer Supporter

Hi,

First of all let me tell you that I am cured from chronic TMS pain. But I have relapses, almost once in a year...

I read a lot of good posts here in this forum. On one of them I read that curing pain is all about changing your focus from it, and it works. However I'm really conserned about relapses. I mean, for instances, you can control what you think, but can you control, how the weather affects your mood, or if a certain image of a sick person makes you said, and affraid? Is every stimulus acompained by a thought, that you can simply cut off from your mind?

My relapses happen always during this time of the year when the weather changes. This triggers my pain.This kind of weather, makes me anxious, said, and affraid. I Don't know why :(

What I wanted to ask is this, can a stimulus, that you associate with pain,or sadness be controled? Does a stimulous result in a though, that can be controled, or ignored? Is your reaction to a visual stimulous, that makes you sad? I once got a lot scared just by entering a strange kind of athmosphere... I used to be so sad, then I went to hospitals, I felt "strange" for weeks...

Can you change these associations or traumas?

I'm talking about Pavlov's Dogs experience. Is it reversible? Can you dicondition the way wheather changes affect your pain/mood?

Why are there times when you are more vulnerable to relapses?

Why do you get anxious and mentaly tiered if you are stuck with the same thought? In this case a negative thought...

I hope you understand what I'm asking.

By the way, is there any forum dedicated to John Keohe's mind power?

Thanks, and please do reply :)

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, filipe. Have you thought that you may have developed a mental conditioned reflect regarding a chance in weather causing you to have a relapse of pain?
    You may be replaying emotions that bring on the pain. I found a very helpful free video on Youtube about Detachment for Over-Thinking

3. filipe

filipe Peer Supporter

thanks Walt :) I was looking for a good guided meditation, and you help me found it :)

4. filipe

filipe Peer Supporter

By the way Walt, how any time should one meditate per day? Thanks :)