1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Relapse

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Mtngal, Aug 16, 2015.

1. Mtngal

Mtngal Well known member

hey all. I'm posting this because I've had a relapse of both my ic and back pain. I recovered 2 years ago with Steve Os help and you guys. My back pain came back when I remembered it always came with the ic. It literally started when I let the memory slide back in. When I'm in pain I always start doubting and think of the structural diagnosis I had 30 years ago ( when I was 28) - segmental instability. I looked this up and it means there is abnormal movement between the vertebrae due to degeneration of discs. There are times when I feel my back shifting and clicking esp. During Yoga. However it never hurt. Do you think this is a diagnosis that is actually real?

2. Kris

Kris New Member

I recently had a relapse too, and I'm still fighting through it. Since you recovered the last time from your IC and back pain using TMS belief and work, I truly believe it's just a recurrence of the nasty TMS coming back to make you question it. Just like you, all it took was the little fleeting thought in my head that said, "what if all this coughing from this cold hurts my back" and sure enough, I was in pain. This relapse has taken me a lot longer to get over because a) my pain moved and it's hurting in a whole new (bothersome) way, and b) I've put a lot of pressure on myself to "just get over it." That, combined with fearing the pain, has just perpetuated the TMS. Go back to your beliefs, tell your brain it's not going to trick you with this relapse, doubt, and fear, and start thinking psychologically again. Send the message to your brain that you KNOW this is TMS, and you don't need the distraction it is trying to create.

Lizzy likes this.
  3. Mtngal

Mtngal Well known member

Hi Kris. Thanks for your reply. Amazing , the power of suggestion and TMS. But why can't we remember the good times when we didn't have pain just as well. ?
    Let's both think psychologically and we can beat this once again!
    Good thoughts and wishes for you!

Kris and Lizzy like this.
  4. Mtngal

Mtngal Well known member

5. Mtngal

Mtngal Well known member

Thanks Kris for your encouragement.
    We will both try to hang in there. !
    Hope your back is better.

6. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Since this is the TMS forum the answer is NO!, or HELL NO!--but I'm only a tennis player so what do I know? Reread your TMS books regarding backs and vertebrae and degenerate discs and maybe even degenerative discs and slipped discs.

What's going on in your emotional life? Check out the Rahe-Holmes list for ideas.

G'luck!

7. Mtngal

Mtngal Well known member

Thank you tennis. The biggest hurdle is always the 100% TMS belief. Easy to believe when pain is better or less but harder when it's bad. It's funny because the doctor who initially gave the diagnosis of "segmental instability" ( "I can tell just by the way you move") then eventually told me to "get on with my life" which actully was the turning point in my recovery at that time.
    HELL NO is right. Dumb diagnosis.
    Thanks for the wake up call!
    Btw hope your tennis game is on!

8. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

..."get on with my life"...
    this was the Good Doctor's great message, in Nike speak: Just Do It!

The game is good, it's just that my right hip won't cooperate.

Cheers,
    tt

9. IrishSceptic

IrishSceptic Podcast Visionary

I am realising this 'get on with life' is the absolute best advice. I was out last night and noticed no pain, took a deep breath into my lungs(in the smoking area of a night club) and released. surrounded by friends and people I had kind of forgotten, this summer has been fantastic for rediscovering those connections I had neglected and remembering I have worth. Now to turn this into a permanent thing :D