1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Relapse

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Sanosuke, Mar 16, 2020.

1. Sanosuke

Sanosuke New Member

After 10+ years of tms symptoms i had a moment where it just clicked to me, in my mind i was "cured" i got to this state from reading about tms.

This state lasted for about 2 years or so and during this time i forgot about tms. Half a year ago tho i went trough a stressfull period that gave me pain in new areas of my body, insomnia and addiction to nicotine, coffe, alcohol and gaming.

I just made huge progress with my pain its basically gone but the sleep problems and addictions remain, any tips on what to do becouse im certain it is tms.

2. birdsetfree

birdsetfree Well known member

Lose the preoccupation with the the remaining symptoms just as you have done with the pain. It is all the same thing so be reassured that you know what to do. You have been triggered again and your brain remembers effective distractions. Try to figure out what you are avoiding in your life that is causing repressed emotions and look forward to a more comprehensive resolution of this episode.

3. Sanosuke

Sanosuke New Member

Yes but the reason the last symptoms are so hard to get rid of is that they are tied to specific triggers and over time i've just gotten more triggers so am i supposed to just stop doing anything that triggers me or keep doing it and ignore symptoms? Also i'm aware of some of the repressed emotions most of them have to do with my childhood, this morning i was thinking of some of them and i just started crying alot. Everything felt better afterwards so does this mean when i get symptoms i should try to think about these stuff?

4. birdsetfree

birdsetfree Well known member

When you get the triggers, work on calming your nervous system in that moment. Take deep slow breaths and reassure yourself that you are safe, the symptoms are harmless and the addictions will quieten as you gain perspective.

Triggers from childhood mean that your inner child is scared or panicked in this situation. You are an adult now and can work on giving your child self what he/she did not receive from your caretaker that would have been comforting etc.

It is reasonable to limit yourself to how many triggers you want to deal with at one time as you do not want to overwhelm yourself. It is safe and constructive to disable as many as you can over time but don't monitor how long it takes. Well done for getting in touch with those inner feelings, I encourage this, and that you were able to release them by crying is wonderful.

Good work!

Rainstorm B likes this.
  5. Sanosuke

Sanosuke New Member

Thanks i will give it a shot.