1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Relapse

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Zoeinoz, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Zoeinoz

Zoeinoz New Member

Hi.
    I haven't been on the forum or done much in the way of SEP stuff in about six weeks. Mostly because I've had very little to no pain. Which has been great! However, in the time there have been quite a few very stressful things happen and I've been getting bouts of anxiety.

Anyway, I woke up this morning with pretty bad pain in my upper back and neck which has gotten even worse over the course of the day. I was feeling positive this morning, talking to my brain and reminding myself that there's nothing wrong with me and that the pain is temporary. Although as the pain has worsened so has my attitude. Now I'm getting into the How long will this last? Will it ever go away? territory. Minor freak out. Between the TMS and the anxiety I can't help but feel like I'm going a bit nuts lately.
    It feels like strange timing as I went to my psychologist a couple of days ago and she reminded me that I'm very resilient but I've had a lot to deal with in the last couple of years and that it's normal to drop your bundle from time to time. With a preschooler, a baby, work and the rest of day to day stuff happening I don't really feel like I can afford to drop my bundle. My lovely psych also reminded me to show myself some understanding and compassion. I'm trying. Here's hoping I can get back on track soon.
    Zoe

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Zoe. If it's any comfort, relapses are common in TMS healing. Your pain returned probably because of the recent emotional stresses which have given you anxiety. Anxiety is also common in TMS. You also are stressing about how long it will take to heal again. Be patient and do not push the healing. You will be back on track soon, as you journal to tell your subconscious you know that the physical pain is caused by your emotions.

I sent the following quote to some others in replying to posts today and think it would be helpful to you, as well. Lena Horne, the black singer who had her share of heartaches in both her career and personal life: “It’s not the load that breaks you down, it’s the way you carry it. Carry it by the comfortable handles of gratitude for what’s positive and that it is not worse, rather than the uncomfortable edges of bitterness for the negatives and that it is not better."

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
    Zoeinoz likes this.