1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Relapse Tips

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by HEADshr1nker, Sep 21, 2015.

1. HEADshr1nker

HEADshr1nker New Member

Hi TMS buddies, after a long period of feeling great (over a year!) I've quickly relapsed into lower back pain again and wanted to ask if anyone has any tips to help me 'float' through it? I'm struggling.

I'm 100% it's TMS (bit of a prolonged stressful job situation I think).

I'm journaling, watching/reading TMS material, have discussed with my family, tried cycling, forced myself to go on a long car journey this morning to meet a client.

Standing, walking is painful and difficult. Sleep, sitting is fine.

Any support, help, guidance really appreciated.

Dan (HEADshr1nker)

2. SunnyinFL

SunnyinFL Well known member

Hi HEADshr1nker,

I'm so sorry about your relapse; but please don't panic or let any fear start churning - it's a "normal" event. And, the GREAT news is that you've already proven to yourself you can heal from TMS - you've done it before, so you can do it again.

I would encourage you to return to the core recovery principles - i.e., Dr. Sarno's daily reminders. Then, think about what techniques you used to recover before and use the same techniques again. You've already seen what works for you, so there's no reason you won't recover by using the same techniques again. If you need structure, it can be helpful to just start the SEP again and do the day-by-day lessons.

I hope this support and guidance helps! Sunny

JanAtheCPA, HEADshr1nker and mike2014 like this.
  3. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi HS,
    You don't have meditation on your list, which seems to be a key component for TMSers who lead busy stressful lives. I don't find it easy to incorporate into my routine, but when I do it even for a few days, I can feel the difference.

Check out the upcoming mindfulness program that is linked in my signature line - it's free, it's got some well - known participants/presenters and even the introductory packet of materials is a good start.

Forest, mike2014 and SunnyinFL like this.
  4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Jan, thanks for reminding everyone about the free mindfulness program. I think we can all benefit from it.

SunnyinFL likes this.
  5. phillyjoe

phillyjoe Peer Supporter

6. phillyjoe

phillyjoe Peer Supporter

This is going to sound strange since I am on the site now. But after reading this take 2-3 days and just do your normal TMS work and DON'T go to this or any other TMS support site. See what happens.

7. AndrewMillerMFT

AndrewMillerMFT Well known member

One helpful tip is patience. Often, TMSer's get quite impatient their second time around. When we experience a relapse, knowing what we know, we want to banish the symptoms right away - we EXPECT the symptoms to be banished right away - and because we do, we can create quite a bit of internal pressure. This pressure can then lead to unconscious emotional reactions and impede reduction in symptoms. I wholeheartedly agree that you should do the TMS work but I'd encourage you not to ramp things up too much and let this relapse play out at a measured tempo.