1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Relapse - In need of advice!

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by amozzy666, Feb 28, 2020.

Tags:
  1. amozzy666

amozzy666 New Member

I am on day 25 of the Structured Education Program. My recovery has been a slow grind with good days and then minor bumps but overall everything has been moving in a very positive direction. Until now.

I am 24 years old and have a very stressful job. Today was the most stressful day in my 20 month professional career and my body is feeling the impacts. There was a fair amount of confrontation and definitely some anger I would like to express but unfortunately can not given the circumstances. My legs are incredibly tingly and inflamed right now. I am also mentally fatigued given the workday and the fact that it feels like all of my progress in the last 3 weeks or so has been erased. I really need some advice on how to handle this situation. I am trying to take deep breath, ignore the pain and talk to myself but it is really a struggle right now. Could really use some worse of wisdom/encouragement.

2. ssxl4000

ssxl4000 Well known member

As TMS treatment teaches us, we must strive to accept the presence of all thoughts and feelings whether we want to or not. In light of that, it's completely fine you feel your current situation is erasing your progress. However, consciously, do your best to tell yourself that is completely wrong! Relapses are a fact of life with TMS. It's okay, and in no way a reversal of progress. Healing is not a straight line. For some people, releasing whatever pent up difficult emotion they've been burying is enough to banish the symptoms. However, for others, the brain will continue to cause pain whenever it senses "danger" through stressful situations that bring about strong anger, guilt, sadness, etc.

I am healed from my TMS related issues, but when under stress, some of my symptoms still flare back up. I have no fear of them though, which keeps them from lingering or really bothering me. When you're ready, take some time to let out (through journaling, talking to yourself, talking with a mental health professional, etc.) the anger you had to bury today. Then, remind your brain that you are not in danger despite the difficult work situation, and that your anger etc. is a normal reaction to whatever crap you had to deal with. Remind yourself that the new pains you're feeling are completely psychological and while annoying, nothing to worry about. Finally, remind your brain that pain does nothing to help you deal with the situation or emotions they brought up. Try to think this way anytime you find yourself focusing on the symptoms or pain. Eventually, your brain will realize the pain is useless and lay off.

Overall, you are doing nothing wrong! Keep up the good work and I hope you can find some ways to relax after your terrible day.

Aimee88, Ren and JanAtheCPA like this.
  3. amozzy666

amozzy666 New Member

This was much needed, thank you very much!

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  4. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

The only thing I have to add, since @ssxl4000 mentioned journaling, is to look back at the Unsent Letter technique, I think in Day 13. Custom designed to help process problematic relationships!