1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 8 Reflection after first week and a question

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Elgar1857, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Elgar1857

Elgar1857 Newcomer

Anyone astute enough will notice that it's more than a week since I posted Day 1! I had to work abroad over the weekend before last and was very busy with little Internet access in my down time. Anyway I'm back on track and have been doing journaling and have found it interesting and to some extent emotional though there is still a way to go to get deeper into those feelings. I find myself writing about events rather than my feelings about them, which I suppose is the nature of the repression.

I have a question about massage. I know the programme says "stop all physical treatment" and I understand the importance of this (and have stopped seeing my osteopath for the time being even though she put me onto Dr Sarno's books!!) However, i was having deep tissue massage before this latest episode, and it helped me with my posture and my performance in my job. When the morning back pain started, I stopped these massages because I worried that she had caused it, "broken" something. I have been scared to go back ever since. I am now wondering if going back would be a way of showing my subconscious that I am not afraid. Would it confuse my mind if I tell it that the physically, the massage is to help with my posture and confidence, and mentally, it is to stick two fingers up at my unconscious??!

Thoughts great fully received!!

2. SunnyinFL

SunnyinFL Well known member

I am new to this . . . but my reaction was, "So what if it would confuse your mind?" If I was in your shoes, I would say to myself, "I am sick of you, brain, for making me hurt. So here, I'll show you by confusing you - I WILL remain in control no matter what you throw at me! Have that, you wimp!" And, I'd get 1 massage for "my general health and well-being" and to show my brain "I am NOT AFRAID and you CANNOT fill me with fear any longer - I'll prove it!"

3. Elgar1857

Elgar1857 Newcomer

Thanks SunnyinFL! I like your thinking! I'll let you know how it goes!

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Elgar. I think resuming massage is a fine idea and it won't be disrespectful to your unconscious mind. Just consider it a form of relaxation but keep believing that any pain symptoms are from TMS.

When I was a reporter for the Chicago Tribune, a very stressful job, the stressed-out city desk editor said he spent his lunch hour ever day going to a massage parlor and it helped him get through the day.

If you get a massage again, ask if it can be done with magnesium oil. I've read the many benefits of that, since about 90 percent of people all over the world are magnesium deficient and magnesium is responsible for proper function of about 300 parts of the body.