1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Rediscover your passion!

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Colly, Aug 16, 2014.

1. Colly

Colly Beloved Grand Eagle

After two dormant years of silence I reignited my singing voice last week and have been singing every day since. I'm hoping this will blow the cobwebs off my TMS… I'm already feeling an awakening... my pilot light is back on, and my love of music is back! Today I had my first singing lesson and managed to pull this lovely aria off pretty well. Mozart cures all ills!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
    Ellen and Anne Walker like this.
  2. tarala

tarala Well known member

Gorgeous aria Colly. Singing is a great TMS antidote I've found (though not brave enough for solos!). I'm in an a capella women's choir and I never have TMS symptoms during rehearsals or performances, which is pretty telling. Good for you, enjoy your voice.:singing:

3. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Such an important part of healing. Congratulations, Colly!

4. Colly

Thanks Tarala and Ellen!

I'm still battling a TMS relapse, but last weekend I had an "aha" moment, whilst driving to the veggie market for my weekly shop. An old Queen song called 'Love of my life' started playing, and as I started singing along, I felt a surge of emotion and started crying. Then a quote from a SteveO interview on the TMS wiki came into my head. He had simply said "Don't fix your pain, fix your life".

Singing has defined me since I was a young girl and yet here I was denying myself this joy, this passion, which I still have but had discarded (for reasons I cannot go into here, but suffice to say they involve removing myself from a toxic relationship) I then heard myself saying out loud "I need to sing again". And That was it. I got home and contacted my old singing teacher and booked my lesson. Yesterday's lesson was like returning home - to myself.

Tarala, I totally agree; I too never felt TMS pain during rehearsals and especially performances. In fact singing in a performance is the most amazing mindbody experience; like my whole body sings.

I think we ALL need to find that strength/talent we all have and nourish it, because it will repay us with joy and healing.

Here's the song that I have to thank for this epiphany. Thank you Freddie, you brought it back:)

North Star, Forest and Ellen like this.
  5. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

First, find peace, mindfulness and occasional moments of joy, and the TMS will slowly dissolve. :)

Thanks for sharing your passion, Colly. We can forget all about our passions in the maelstrom of TMS, and then the TMS wins.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
    North Star and Ellen like this.
  6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Colly, It gives me joy to know you're singing again. I know how much you love it.

7. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

Colly, you have a magnificent voice…thank you for sharing! I had started singing lessons a few years back….YEARS after not singing. Sadly, the didn't last too long due to finances. But, I have managed to pull out the guitar or sit down to the piano here and there - it always nourishes my soul.

So yeah, I understand the healing. Bravo to you!

8. Colly

Thanks North Star, though that voice is the wonderful Barbara Bonny's. I'm just pleased and relieved I can still do a decent impersonation/wail! Thank you Mam and Dad (both classical singers)!

Walt thank you, that's lovely to hear!

Forest it's funny how it was staring at me in the face for so long, and I kept ignoring it. I had left singing with the intention of removing a certain person from my life, but made the mistake of attaching the joy of music to that person. I even avoided playing classical CD's for two years for the same reason. I was finally at peace with this person, forgiving them, but still unable to embrace music, until last week, but it was that emotion surfacing that finally gave me the realization I needed. Thank heavens for Freddie Mercury!

9. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

I wasn't sure if Barbara Bonny was the "real you" since so many of us here use screen names for privacy's sake. And wow! What riches…to have classical singing in your heritage