1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Recurring Sports Injuries?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by patrickj, Feb 6, 2023.

1. patrickj

patrickj Well known member

I started to try and resume all physical activity last week.

So I went to play football (soccer) like I used to. I haven’t played for six months. And I’m very sore… (but only as expected when I haven’t ran for ages)

But this glute / hip injury has come straight back. It’s an injury that’s lingered for a couple of years and whenever I exercise it comes back. It’s a soreness / tightness pain with some cracking in my hip / glute.

I’ve never had it looked at by a doctor or a scan. Mostly because I am going through them for a scan on my shoulder and back. I feel like I can’t go about my glute now as well… I can always feel it aching when I’m sat.

I have seen two physios who both said I need to strengthen and do lunges etc.

What do we say about recurring sports injuries that never go away? When the pain settles to almost zero with no exercise but as soon as I exercise it comes straight back even after 6 months rest?

Hoping I get a reply..

Thanks

2. Mr Hip Guy

Mr Hip Guy Well known member

That sounds like a conditioned response to me. I know it's hard to not to see a direct connection between the activity and the pain, but TMS pain is "different" in how it feels.

The conditioned response could be the activity, it could also be something else like sitting in a certain chair etc. I think the biggest clue in what you're describing above is that the pain didn't occur during the activity, only later. That's a clear signal it is TMS related.

patrickj likes this.
  3. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

“Injuries” that reoccur without really finding a structural cause are probably tms.
    TMS is not healed by taking a rest. It is healed by deeply feeling the tms work, taking it to heart. Perhaps you were having self-doubting thoughts, under stress you do not recognize you internally generate or as Mr Hip Guy suggests, you expected discomfort. All of this can be subconscious, you aren’t aware of it. TMS work is the awareness without judgement.
    What can be done during a relapse? The tms work of course! Leaning into how we feel emotionally about the relapse and accepting it. Understanding that with time, patience and self kindness that this time will pass. Knowing that it’s ok to work up to movement -there’s a lot of mental space between going out and kicking a ball around and playing a full game. Can you be ok with the in between? Can you give yourself the space to heal or do you constantly feel the need to be healed right now?

patrickj likes this.
  4. patrickj

Thanks for replying. Yes the activity brought the pain right back but it never fully went away. I’ve had it for about 2 years but with no activity it just remains at a niggle and always there. But as soon as I run it’s right back. The pain came on properly about 30mins into the game..

Another long term pain I’ve got that has no clear reason and never gets better. I’ll be playing again next week but I already know I will come away with it even worse.

One thing I’ve learnt from 15 years of constant sports injuries is rest doesn’t work.

5. patrickj

Thanks for replying.
    Yes there’s probably some truth in expecting the pain. But I’ve had the pain constantly for 2 years - it’s just that when I play / run it 10x. I’ve had 6 months out of exercise and within 30mins the injury is back.

It’s very hard to believe that this too shall pass when I’ve got injuries that have lasted years (shin splints 15 years, shoulder 6 years, back, 4 years, glute 2 years)

What do you mean by “can I be ok with the in between”?

Yes I’ve given myself plenty of time to heal but it doesn’t happen.

Hopefully this hypnotherapy helps.

6. Mr Hip Guy

"Predictable" chronic pain like this is very common with TMS.

7. Mr Hip Guy

Suggestion - Do some searches on the forum for posts similar to your condition. If I were you I would search for:

Hip
    Piriformis
    Glute
    Labrum
    FAI

You should get some hits. Read the posts through, you'll see some similarities to your situation and relate to them. I find this very helpful for me, reading what others go through and how they saw it resolved using TMS therapy.

Good luck!

patrickj likes this.
  8. patrickj

Thanks Mr Hip Guy, I’ll give those a go. Hopefully it works …

9. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

I have more than 10 years of back pain, 55 years of other tms symptoms. They are all slowly going away.
    Mr. Hip Guy makes another great point. You are still stuck believing all this must be physical. Success stories can help. what do I mean by the “in between” -doing things that are not your full on sport and being confident doing them. Long walks, riding exercise bike.. anything that brings you confidence. There may be some symptoms, but can you continue working through them a bit? It hurts to walk after 20 minutes, but can you manage 22 minutes and not stress out, fear, catastrophize? Can you work up your time then try to jog, or run or do whatever else you like doing, the very same way? Just try to be creative and do what works for you, try not to focus on symptoms.

Mr Hip Guy and patrickj like this.