1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

recovering step by step - not so easy...

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Aaricia, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Aaricia

Aaricia Peer Supporter

Hello everyone,

I know that this subject was already discussed many times but I think I need some kind of proof for myself.
    I finished SEP about two months ago and did great, finally weeks without pain!!! Not having symptoms was wonderful.

Step by step I did things that were painful to do before - driving a car, carrying my daughter, dancing classes, cooking for my family etc.
    The one thing that I had problem with were fitness exercise with DVD. I did them few times and the pain came back, usually 30 minutes after I finished training. And it stayed with me for few day in my hands. It makes me so mad and sad and depressed. I love being fit and in good shape (I'm certified fitness instructor) . Why my body is fighting against me to achieve what I want? I love the endorphins that activity gives me. I want to feel them every day!
    It makes me scared and I feel like I should avoid that area but on the other hand I don't want to live in fear. Today I'm afraid of physical activity, what will scare me tomorrow? Please help me understand...

ps. Sorry about my English, I'm not a native speaker, but I tried my best!

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Aricia. I like your name. Never heard it before. Your English is fine.

You were without pain for weeks after finishing the SEP, which is great.
    Maybe go into it again, selecting the daily activities that may have helped you the most.

It's common to fear physical activity because it may cause a return of pain,
    but I would focus instead on the successes you've had.

If you haven't read it yet, I urge you to read Steve Ozanich's book,
    The Great Pain Deception, to see how he fought through his pain with TMS belief.

wendyd likes this.
  3. Aaricia

Aaricia Peer Supporter

Thank you Walt,
    I bought the book, should get in 2 or 3 days.

what do you think, should I avoid physical activity or just bite my teeth and don't care about the pain?

Boston Redsox likes this.
  4. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Aaricia,

You may be experiencing a conditioned response, where your brain has associated exercise with pain. I suggest talking to your brain prior and during the exercise saying something like "There is no reason for this exercise to be causing me pain because there is nothing wrong with my body." Keep repeating this over and over. Eventually, the message sinks in to the unconscious.

Best wishes...

5. Aaricia

Aaricia Peer Supporter

thanks Ellen,

I thinks so too. I didn't exercise since Thursday and pain gets bigger and now in both hands. I'll try your advice. Thank you,
    The thing is that I was already pain free for weeks and it came back with double force. I feel like I will never get better...

Thank you,

6. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Aaricia,
    I like this advice by Ellen. Your mind-body needs repetition/education. Walt asks you to focus on the positive results, which I think is good too. When you are not in pain, thank your mind-body with a simple statement like "You understand what I need right now, to be pain free. Thank you." When you are in pain, try to use a statement like "Stop the pain, I am willing to feel my feelings!" Use this without attachment to the results. You are just repeating this, training the mind-body.

You have gotten so far on this Sarno path, Aaricia. I hope you recognize this. The fear and pain around certain activities does not mean that you have failed or that you are doing something wrong. It just requires a continuation of your program. If you are afraid, you might treat the fear the same way as a pain symptom: "Stop the fear, I am willing to feel my emotions."

Andy B.

Aaricia likes this.
  7. Aaricia

Aaricia Peer Supporter

Thank you Andy,
    This been a long way indeed.
    I don't know why physical activity is such a problem. Other things are not an issue any more. I can dance, I can drive a car again with no symptoms, just working out makes the pain.
    But I did the yoga class yesterday, and I used the approach you recommend me. I can't say that there was no symptoms during or after class, but I didn't panic or lost my mind about them. I was so proud of myself!

step by step...
    it's a long path...

Take care,

Barb M. likes this.
  8. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Aaricia,
    I am so happy for you, to make some progress on this piece. You are confronting the fear, and not letting it "run you!!" I am proud of you too. This is not an easy accomplishment.
    Andy B.

Aaricia likes this.