1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Recognizing My Emotions

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Nate, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Nate

Nate Peer Supporter

Hi all :) Im just writing to ask any help or hints to help recognize my emotions. Sometimes im pretty good but they are more clearer emotional problems such as anger or sadness due to a family arguement or someone putting you down. What im having trouble with is sometimes i feel like im havin a pretty normal day no arguements or anger etc and the pain gets worse? I straight away think ok whats goin on am i stressed at work or angry at someone or is it possible that there is something in the subconcious still that i have yet not brought to light? How do you know? I journal every 2nd day just about whats been goin on that day and write quick which seems to help things come out which i was un aware of. It has only been a week and im not saying i expect to pain free just wanted some tips or more indepth questions to ask myself to try and make myself more aware of my emotions and get in touch a lil better. Thanks again and hope youse are all doin great. P.S its my bday today and am feeling great! why is it always on ya bday ya have a sense of high for life? wouldnt it be great to feel like this every day. thanks again and speak soon :)

2. gailnyc

gailnyc Well known member

Nate, first of all happy birthday! You are lucky you still feel "high for life" on your birthday--they have become stressors for me (reminders that I'm getting older).

Second, it seems to me you're still focusing too much on your pain. You still see it as something you are somehow going to eliminate by journaling REALLY HARD. It's only by accepting the pain and as an emotional barometer and learning to not fear it and to get on with your life that you will eventually cause it to go away.

On a day when I am experiencing more pain than usual I ask myself, what's happening today that really bothers me? Sometimes I think I know the answer and sometimes I really don't. It's the thinking about emotions instead of pain that's really key to recovery.