1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 8 Recognizing emotions connected to pain

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Seraphina, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Seraphina

Seraphina Peer Supporter

Q. Are you having success at recognizing the emotions connected to your pain? If you have, how do these emotions make you feel? If not, what do you think is preventing you from doing this?

I recently found that fear of symptoms or just fear in general is connected to soreness and tingling--mostly in my ankle and wrists. Moreover, today's journaling on being bullied by two specific boys in elementary school brought up a repressed anger and annoyance in me, and then I soon had discomfort in the head which felt like a mild headache. While typing, I felt a mild wrist pain, too.

I'm still on my way on recognizing the emotions connected to my pain. There are still many undiscovered connections (e.g., I feel pain but I'm not quite sure which emotion(s) made that up). I think my still focusing on the pain itself when it comes up (not focusing entirely on the emotions at the moment) could be the main factor preventing me from recognizing the connection. Still most of the time, I can't just easily switch to emotional thinking because I'm annoyed by the level and feeling of the pain at the moment. When I'm finally under control and do focus on the emotional side, the pain has already subsided or changed so that I cannot recognize a clear connection.

I don't think I get much stress from not recognizing the connection, but it just makes me think "I have too long way to go, seeing myself still stuck in pain." I don't think I'm depressed by it, but I admit it's somewhat discouraging to see myself not absorbing the technique fast and fully. Oh well...

2. hecate105

hecate105 Beloved Grand Eagle

I would relax a bit and allow yourself some space. Sometimes there are clear connections - ie a situation or person makes a pain 'flare'. But equally sometimes it is just working out over time why a pain is there. It does seem (at least to me0 that when you do make a connection it can 'send' the pain away - as if it is no longer needed. But really I found that by identifying all the stresses I had buried through my life, I was able to process and then let them go - leading to far better health and a mostly pain-free life. Good luck

Forest likes this.
  3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Seraphina. I found that I healed from severe back pain by journaling about my parents and older brother
    who I felt gave me a stressful boyhood. That led me realize they had TMS problems of their own. By
    understanding them better I was able to forgive them, and that ended my back pain.

So maybe you need to think about those boys who bullied you in elementary school and maybe discover
    what may have caused them to be mean to you. They may have had their own TMS problems.
    The main thing is to forgive them. You might even pray for them, if they're still alive, and pray that
    they find peace. That will bring you peace and help you to overcome your symptoms.

paingoaway likes this.