1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Really struggling with trigger point pain

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by lilyboo83, Mar 6, 2014.

1. lilyboo83

lilyboo83 New Member

Hi everyone. So I have been told I have trigger points. I went back to work 4 wks ago after having 3 months off for what I thought was a repetitive strain injury.

On my first day back I kept saying to myself that the trigger points were only there because of repressed emotions and so the pain only got slightly worse. But now I am in agony again. It is really getting me down. I am meditating every day with a book on mindfullness but it doesn't seem to be helping.

My neck, chest, shoulders, shoulder blades, ribs, arms, wrists, hands and fingers are all so sore and ache so bad. The muscles feel so tight they could snap. I have started to become obsessed with pressing the points as even though it hurts it is a nice pain.

I am starting to panic and think that I should start having myofascial release treatments again.

Please help. Any advice is really appreciated.

Msunn likes this.
  2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Lilyboo83,
    I'm sorry to hear that you are having so much pain. Sometimes it takes awhile for us to get relief from our symptoms. I've been at this almost a year, but am starting to believe I will be totally TMS symptom free soon. Hang in there and keep working on your TMS strategies.

In the meantime, I believe it is OK to do whatever you need to do to get some pain relief. However, it is important to approach the treatment with an understanding that it is only for temporary symptom relief, and is not a cure for your TMS. Your TMS is due to repressed emotions and will only be addressed by thinking psychologically about it, not physically.

Mindfulness meditation is a powerful tool but may take awhile for you to see results. What other tools are you using? Are you following one of the structured educational programs that includes journaling? If not, you may want to consider starting one of these. There are two free ones on the tmswiki. Also, continue with the knowledge therapy--keep reading about TMS and watching videos, listening to audio books, etc. It all starts to sink into the unconscious with repetition.

Remember to be kind to yourself. TMS therapy is about feeling better and we should not let a strict adherence to what we understand as its principles to make us miserable.

Hoping you feel better soon....Please let us know how you are doing. We are here to support you.

Lily Rose, North Star, G.R. and 3 others like this.
  3. Anne Walker

Anne Walker Beloved Grand Eagle

Hello Lilyboo. Like Ellen, I have been working on this for almost a year. My anxiety is minimal now, my pain still moves around but doesn't really preoccupy me so much anymore. I have been a little preoccupied with my perimenopausal symptoms and now I am applying all my TMS knowledge to that. Perhaps I do not consider myself healed because I am still working on the emotional and psychological causes of my TMS. I am a bit on an emotional rollercoaster but I am not completely distracted by the pain syndromes and anxiety anymore. It is a process, some people take longer than others. But I would bet most of us would agree that in the end, all the hard work, frustration, confusion is worth it and at some point it becomes about so much more than just getting rid of the pain. I personally think one of the more important TMS concepts and yet one of the most difficult to comprehend and accept is outcome independence. If we have chosen a path to help eliminate our pain, then how do we not measure and monitor our success based on our pain levels? It seems so counter intuitive. And yet truly, we can make tremendous progress on our TMS healing and have heightened pain levels at the same time. TMS works, it distracts, and in order to break its spell you have to hold true to your beliefs, trust that no matter how much it is testing you, its power will lesson and fade. Its very hard to do when the pain levels are high, the muscles in spasm, and you feel injured. But if you can try as much as possible to stay focused on your life, the psychological and emotional, what makes you happy, you will get better. There is no doubt about that. It is only a matter of time.

Lily Rose, North Star, G.R. and 3 others like this.
  4. Mermaid

Mermaid Well known member

Hi Lilyboo

Both Ellen and Anne have given excellent advice and insights as always.

I understand how much pain you are in, having experienced it myself. I agree with Ellen that it's OK to do whatever you find eases your pain, don't be a martyr to it, that will only make you more upset. However, don't fall into the trap of using these methods as a further distraction. I used to have trigger point release treatment, and use a release "tool" at home, I applied heat pads to my back neck and shoulders, and I had a "special" pillow as well, however I only ever got temporary relief.

When I discovered Dr.Sarno and started working on TMS healing, I ditched all my "treatments", and didn't get any worse. I promised myself I would stop prodding around for trigger points, and I started spending my money on relaxing aromatherapy massages instead. I took the odd pain killer when I was desperate, but the pain gradually subsided so that I didn't need them any more.

It would help you to do some work on losing the fear of your symptoms, at the moment you are stuck in a fear-tension-pain-fear cycle which needs to be broken. If you're not already familiar with Claire Weekes' work, I would strongly recommend her books and CD's, they've help me a great deal.

You can do this, just try to think psychologically, it takes a lot of patience and practice but it definitely works.Simply by possessing your new awareness the healing process has started, just go with it and be kind to yourself, you will heal I promise.

Bless you :joyful:

Lily Rose, G.R., Ellen and 1 other person like this.
  5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, LilyBoo. You've gotten great advice and guidance toward healing from three of the most
    knowledgeable and caring people in the forums. There's nothing more I could add except to
    agree with them and don't pressure yourself in any way. Try to make your daily life as happy
    as you can. Think and do pleasant things and do deep breathing and think you are well and you will be.

Ellen, G.R. and Mermaid like this.
  6. lilyboo83

lilyboo83 New Member

Again thank you all so much for your advice. I honestly dont know what I would do without this forum you are all such kind people. I am so touched that you all care so much about complete strangers. I feel like I can just say exactly how I feel on here and will not be judged. You are all angels!

I will check out Claire Weekes :)