1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 10 Really Struggling Today

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by wannarun, May 26, 2015.

1. wannarun

wannarun Peer Supporter

My two primary symptoms are burning in my feet/lower legs and low back pain. Yesterday was memorial day I was very active with my wife in the yard. Doing various stuff. I also decided to try and run two miles very very slowly. We're talking 15 minute/mile pace and my oldest went with me. He actually walked I was going so slow.

Today my pain is pretty bad. I don't know if it was the fear of doing this stuff and my mind/body just latched onto the fear or what. It is really hard to think psychological after you do physical activity and feel the pain come roaring back.

Have any of you gone through something similar? Did I just push the envelope too fast? Fearful and in pain.

2. wannarun

wannarun Peer Supporter

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Steve Ozanich says in his book THE GREAT PAIN DECEPTION that playing golf despite the pain helped him to heal.
    But Dr. Sarno says not to do heavy physical activity until the TMS pain lessens.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I think it's good to do a little fast walking or slow running.

Try to be positive when running... repeat a positive mantra that you are feeling fine.

4. wannarun

wannarun Peer Supporter

Walt, Thank you. I went back to the book over lunch and listened to the CD. Sarno happened to be on the section where he talked about gradually increasing activity as if you go too fast it could interfere with accepting the diagnosis. Then he used the example of talking to your brain. Well, I did the running as a test to let my body decide if I would have pain or not and guess what. It totally picked pain. I told my brain, nice try it was not going to work. I am in control and this kind of behavior would not be tolerated. Brain you need to totally knock this stuff off. Back on the band wagon. I can't stop at day 10. I need to keep going. Walt as always thank you for your posts.

5. MSZ812

MSZ812 Well known member

Good to hear wannarun. You got this!