1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 8 Really liking the program so far

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Denise84, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Denise84

Denise84 New Member

Hi everyone,

I am currently on day 8 of the program, and in today's educational activity they suggest I make a post about my TMS treatment thus far. I have to say that so far I really am enjoying the program. I mean it's hard, but I've felt a benefit from it not only in my physical pain but also in my regular life. I feel more aware of my feelings and it's given me a new perspective in many ways. So far the biggest success I've noted is that there have been a recent couple of days where I have taken significantly less medication. Generally, I take 5-6 tramadol a day, as I have been doing everyday for two years. Yesterday, I took only 3 total, and today I just took my third tramadol and it's 10pm. By now, I'm usually taking my 6th dose! Amazing! It's hard to know if it's because the pain is actually decreasing or if my mindset is taking the focus away from the pain and more on my emotions, but either way, I'll take it! That said, I did have a minor flare up this week as well, but I stuck to Sarno's advice and kept talking to my brain, also considering that the flare up was possibly my mind's way of "fighting back" so that it can keep me focused on my pain. Anyway, I'm so grateful thus far for this program and I know I have a lot of work ahead of me. But I'm willing to put it in. Also, I see Dr. Schecter for the first time next week. I am eager to see what he has to say, and I'm assuming that being able to fill him in on my response thus far to the program will hopefully give him some good information in determining whether I truly have TMS. Thanks to all of you who have offered your support, it means a lot!

2. Jackhammer

Jackhammer New Member

Great to hear that you are cutting down on the meds!
    That should give you a big boost of confidence, it was scarey when I cut mine out altogether.
    I am still having discomfort, but no more than while on the meds, so that gave me some evidence that perhaps my problems are a result of TMS.
    Hope your time with Dr. Schechter goes well!
    I just sent for his latest book and workbook.
    John

Denise84 likes this.
  3. Denise84

Denise84 New Member

Thank you Jackhammer! I think I'm still a long way from cutting out meds completely. For example, today I woke up feeling a lot more pain than I normally do in the mornings. I tried to resist as long as I could, and then finally took one of my meds to take the edge off, which definitely helps. But, I'm still trying to remember that its not structural (they've never found anything structurally wrong with me in the past 2 1/2 years), and shift my focus to the psychological side of things. Hoping this shift will continue to help! Good luck to you!

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Denise. The fact that you can take less medication some days is a very good sign that you are healing.
    Good luck weeing Dr. Schechter. Let us know how it goes.

5. Denise84

Denise84 New Member

Thanks Walt!