1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Real injury as a result of TMS tension

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by fraggle, Jul 6, 2018.

1. fraggle

fraggle New Member

So .... I'm wondering how I follow the TMS advice & carry on moving when in actual fact I have injured my back (I seem to injure it regularly - every few months - as a result of TMS tension). My back seizes up as a result of the injury (I guess to protect itself) and I don't know how to release it. I've tried to bend & move naturally but I can feel the injury is still there & I don't want to make it worse. I don't know how to get over this hurdle. It's driving me insane, this battle with my mind & body.

2. EileenS

EileenS Well known member

What do mean by injury? Is there a fracture? A dislocation?

3. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

If you’ve been generally cleared medically (as Eileeen was asking by above), I’d treat this “injury” that sounds like a back spasm as TMS. I experienced the same thing for years, as ha e many others, before learning of TMS. Back spasms do feel like injuries but usually are just another form of TMS. In fact, recurring spasms were primarily how my TMS manifested! It’s a tricky thing.

fraggle likes this.
  4. fraggle

fraggle New Member

I assume it's an injury as my back gave out when I bent over to pick something up. Now I can't bend without pain & my back giving out....... it's hard to ignore & carry on as usual.

5. fraggle

fraggle New Member

thank you for your reply. So it sounds like TMS doesn't it? I didn't realise. I'm still grappling with how to deal with it. I'm fearful of bending & picking things up because my back gives out when I do so. I still find it hard to ignore.

6. karinabrown

karinabrown Well known member

Hi Fraggle,

I understand your fear , but indeed if you have seen a doctor and nothing is fractured etc :
    Its not a injury ‘ in that way
    You say ‘my back is out’ i bet
    the muscles are thight from stress and fear. There is nothing ‘out’
    You can’t bend without fear because of the tightness
    Besides learning from this great wiki
    this website gave me some
    trust too
    https://www.painscience.com/articles/structuralism.php (Your Back Is Not Out of Alignment)

When you see yourself as ‘injured’ you start to behave as a injured person
    While you are ‘just’ stuck with muscle tightness . Its not easy.. did you start one of the programs here on the wiki?
    It can really help you understand what’s going on and educate towards changing things

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
    plum, JanAtheCPA and MindBodyPT like this.
  7. fraggle

fraggle New Member

Thanks Karinabrown, I have started the SEP & am up to day 9. I've ordered a couple of recommended books and am still waiting for them to arrive. I was considering paying for a TMS therapist but decided to start with this free online program first. Will see how it goes...

karinabrown likes this.
  8. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

As our supportive members have indicated in their answers above, doing this work takes a 180-degree shift in the way you've always thought about your body. Making this shift is not necessarily easy, but it's essential to your recovery process - it's something that you have to practice until it becomes semi-automatic to think psychologically rather than physically.

Here's my personal back spasm story: http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/at-a-crossroads.18068/#post-96009 (at a crossroads..)

HattieNC and plum like this.
  9. karinabrown

karinabrown Well known member

Good start, maybe that’s all you need !