1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1 Ready...

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by gschueck, Aug 27, 2015.

1. gschueck

gschueck Newcomer

Hi!

I've had some periodic back pain episodes and always it was related to significant emotional/traumatic events. After my mother's death five years ago, the back pain became chronic. In the past 6 months, I resolved myself to working it out and spent $$$ on chiropractic, rolfing and various remedies. I had a morning routine and an evening routine. Yoga, balls, sticks, tens unit, laser therapy, orthotic shoes, posture books, leg pillows, dvds, etc. Then in the past 6 months, it moved into my neck and that's when it became unbearable. The harder I worked the worse it got. I suspected that it was related to my emotions. I knew it was chronic muscle tension and I had no tools left but conventional medicine and I knew there was nothing there for me. I told my chiropractor a few weeks ago that I was becoming a cripple. I'd had a dream that my muscles were going to snap my bones. This body was hitting the eject button in a really mean way.

She gave me Sarno's book, healing your back pain. I didn't need convincing that it was emotional as I've always suspected. In 3 days, I was 50% better. Better than I had been in years! Only last night it decided to move into my knee and I could hardly walk. This time I laughed at it, knowing the origin and admiring the power of the mind.

I am currently in a life transition going from a corporate job to being self employed so my hope is that I am able to do this on my own. I don't have a budget for therapy and I'm not going to lie, I don't relish the idea of unpacking my bags in front of anyone. I doubt I'm the only one on here who has felt this way considering that we don't like to look in our bags... or even know we have them. I had no idea what it meant to repress an emotion. After a couple weeks of studying, I've learned that I am a professional at it. I also worry that I don't have bags, I have train cars.....

I am thankful this understanding of the pain. Thankful for the gift to know the power of the mind.

This is where I am on day one.

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi GS, and Welcome to the forum!

I want to let you know that I did this work on my own, after about 15 years of chiro,various PTs, orthotics, yoga, sticks - OMG - it sounds just like your list! The Dr. Sarno book I read was The Divided Mind, and you are welcome to read my profile page for the whole story, plus my list of favorite resources.

The first time I posted to the forum, upon starting the SEP, I was very uncertain about "unpacking my bags" in front of people I didn't know, but I've never regretted it for a moment. That was four years ago, and my life is 180 degrees turned around.

We do our best here to keep this a safe place to ask any and all questions and to report on our progress and our setbacks. We're glad to have you!

~Jan

Grateful17 and gschueck like this.
  3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, too, GS. Jan always gives wonderful advice and encouragement, and I echo what she replied.

Going from a corporate job to being self-employed is stressful. I know because that's what I did, 40 years ago. I left a stressful insurance company to freelance as a magazine and book writer and have always been glad I did. Being self-employed isn't easy but it is great in the freedom of choices it gives you. What kind of self-employment will you be in? Maybe I have a suggestion or two for you.

Just believe in yourself and you will succeed. I think success is more a matter of perseverance and self-belief than anything else. Good luck and keep us posted. If you feel stressed, try deep breathing. It's profoundly relaxing. Breathe in through your nose to the count of 7, hold the breath for 2, then exhale through your mouth to 7. Or I often do it 4-2-5. Just exhale a little longer than you inhale.

gschueck likes this.
  4. gschueck

gschueck Newcomer

Jan,
    It is very encouraging to know that others have done this w/o conventional therapy.
    Thank you!
    Gretchen

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  5. gschueck

gschueck Newcomer

Hi Walt,
    I have been studying herbalism for the past 5 years. It's a big change all around and scary. I have a great mentor though so that's been super helpful. Thank you for your words of encouragement!!
    Best regards,
    Gretchen

JanAtheCPA likes this.