1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Ready to share my story

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Hopeful_Alexandra, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Hopeful_Alexandra

Hopeful_Alexandra New Member

Hi everyone,
    I have posted here on-and-off for years and I thought it might be helpful to share my story with everyone. I won't call it a "success story" necessarily (maybe a partial success story?) but at the very least it is a (short) reflection on my journey and where I stand currently.

For years I had unexplained tendinitis and a host of other bizarre symptoms- occasional acid reflux, hip and glute tension, numbness and tingling in extremities, IBS symptoms, frequent UTIs, eating disorder and... I think that's it, actually. Lots of tendinitis all over and injuries that just wouldn't "heal" (mostly ankle sprains). In about 2010 I got into a car accident that started me on a serious downward spiral of back pain. After getting an MRI result that showed disc desiccation and bulging, things really went off the rails- I did round and round after physio, was using a TENS device, was unable to exercise because of the back pain and other problems listed above...

Luckily then I found Dr. Sarno. Like many others I figured, what the heck- couldn't hurt, and bought the book. I experienced a drastic reduction in pain by incorporating his principles and by reading many of the others in the field. I also saw Dr. Schubiner in Detroit a few years ago and we correspond occasionally still when I am having a problem!

As for my personality traits, gosh- can I ever relate to what a lot of people here have outlined. I am definitely a goodist extraordinaire, am highly self critical and definitely a HSP (highly sensitive person)- others' pain can feel so real and devastating to me that I often turn off (even fictional) TV shows or movies so I won't become too upset.

Through years of therapy I have come a long way in improving my low self-esteem and quieting that inner critic voice and working through my childhood hurts, but it is an ongoing process. I have a tendency to be overly emotionally dependent on others for validation and approval. I just got married this year as I described in another post, and my husband is wonderful- super understanding and supportive and he does not see my sensitivity as a burden, and I have narrowed by friend circle down to those who are loving and bring me happiness. I try to do a mindfulness meditation every morning and evening to help calm my mind and nervous system down.

As for my "problems" that continue to linger, they usually involve my shoulder (what a physiotherapist or physically-inclined practitioner would diagnose as rotator cuff tendinities and tightness, muscle weakness) and my knee (lingering tendinitis and tightness). I also just "injured" my ankle (perhaps I will describe in another post). Back occasionally gives me some pain and scares me greatly when it does (oh, FEAR!)

I suppose the purpose of this post, other than to give everyone a bit more background to "me," is to try to make a better commitment to tackling some of these lingering issues (I don't necessarily expect that everything will ever be 100%, but to a degree I still feel at the whim of my pain). I also have a confession: I have started but never completed Schubiner's book! I think part of my reluctance, if I were to be really honest about it, is a fear of finishing it and still be plagued by these problems- as in, what if it doesn't work... then what will I do??? (So I just don't try).

If you've made it this far, thanks for reading! I would love to talk to others about my experiences or receive any suggestions or input if members are inclined.

Warmly, Alex

P.S. I did a great online therapy program this fall offered through the website conscious-transitions.com called "Open Your Heart." It helped a lot with tackling the above-mentioned issues and personality traits and I think it is an excellent complement to TMS work so I thought I would pass along my recommendation! Another program I hope to take in the future is called Inner Bonding.

IrishSceptic likes this.
  2. FredAmir

FredAmir Well known member

Hi Alexandra,

Thanks for sharing your story. Certainly your courage to keep trying despite the pain and fear is commendable.

Unfortunately fear of pain is what can keep you in pain. It's imperative to set your mind that fear of pain, failure, the unknown will not keep you from living a full life.

Once you develop that mindset and strengthen it daily you should see amazing results.

3. Hopeful_Alexandra

Hopeful_Alexandra New Member

Yes, Fred, exactly. You have hit the nail on the head, i think, with this: "It's imperative to set your mind that fear of pain, failure, the unknown will not keep you from living a full life."

This is really the key for me, and I suspect relates well to "outcome independence"? It is hard, but necessary, for me to remind myself that whether I am in pain or not tomorrow or the next day or next week, my life will continue and I will be OK. And the more I worry, the more I fiddle with my shoulder or back and fret about it, the worse the pain becomes. Once I stop giving it power over me (determine to be happy no matter what) the pain fades away.

IrishSceptic likes this.
  4. IrishSceptic

IrishSceptic Podcast Visionary

''I am definitely a goodist extraordinaire, am highly self critical and definitely a HSP (highly sensitive person)- others' pain can feel so real and devastating to me that I often turn off (even fictional) TV shows or movies so I won't become too upset.''

I can relate, often experience very random bursts of crying at some music. I think it is because I am highly effective at stifling my emotions that when a moving piece of music conjures up a particular memory for me the floodgates open.

This happened quite recently on Youtube. Just last year I buried a very dear Uncle and 'Nearer me god to thee' was played. I listen to a lot of classical/movie score music and Youtube's autoplay put on Andre Rieus rendition of 'nearer my god'....cue tears. Kinda good tears but tinged with sadness too

its particularly well done even thought the music has become quite a clichéfor funerals...still very powerful

5. FredAmir

"Once I stop giving it power over me (determine to be happy no matter what) the pain fades away."

Love your statement Alexandra. These worries and fears are quite common and I see them with my readers and clients all the time. They rate than 8 and above on a scale of 1-10.

Keep working on that mindset and if you need additional tools I am conducting a free workshop which can give you new strategies to overcome your fears. It will be on Saturday, December 5 at 9-10am PST.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/turn-s...xcitement-in-3-easy-steps-tickets-19565864026

Take care,

6. shalya1012

shalya1012 New Member

Wow that's awesome. My glute tightness or leg tightness or whatever hip sciatica whatever it is, is taking over my mind. It helps to see you recovered from that. Wish you all the best.
    From Freds post, I really need to stop giving my pain so much power and fear. I just don't know how!

7. FredAmir

Hi Shayla,

I know exactly how you feel and what you are going through. This is what I recommend in cases like yours:
    1. Read Rapid Recovery from Back and Neck Pain.
    2. Read the testimonials on www. Rapid recovery.net for stories of those who have recovered rapidly.
    3. Design and implement the Rapud Recovery plan.

Many people have taken control over the pain and recovered with the above steps.

If after you do the above you want additional support, you can schedule a free 30-minute evaluation session at http://www.rapidrecovery.net/phone.html

What's most important is that you take massive action to show your subconscious you are serious about getting rid of your pain.

8. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

Same as u Irish very sensitive to sounds or whatever thats me a GOODIST