1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S. (New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. Bonnard is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 4 Read the personality traits page today

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by how_to_feel_emotions, Sep 8, 2021.

1. For today I just want to share some insights I had about myself and my personality.

In the beginning, I was very uncertain whether I was the type of person that could develop TMS. What if I am wrong in my own self-diagnosis?

But after I read the page today, as part of day 4 of the SEP, I know for sure. Every question listed under goodist and stoic was like reading about myself. Also about the perfectionist part.

I remember for example that I have a history of not wanting to show people things I am still learning, or things that aren't finished yet. Examples:
    • When I was very young, didn't want to dance in front of school with my friends for a fun show since we didn't practice the routine perfectly (we had none, so I bailed out)
    • Wanted to memorize an entire presentation word for word instead of loosely just say something about the topic (it failed, which was embarrassing)
    • Even now, I have a guitar that I haven't played on for a while since I feel unworthy. If I play it needs to be perfect before others can hear it, but before I do that I first have to practice. This is all so weird because I had guitar lessons for about 6 years when I was young. I know how to play the guitar... just not perfect
    • I am designing a website for my uncle, and want it to be perfect. In doing that, however, I don't make any decisions and am getting increasingly worried that the website will be not as good as I want it to. Eventually I have to settle for a 'mweh' website and feel bad
    These are just for the perfectionist, I can write all day about the goodist questions and characteristics.

This post was just for me to confirm that I have the personality traits, somehow I have to convince myself of this.

Side note: the pain always comes when I sit still, not when moving. Even when meditating with a straight back, the pain comes. I believe if my body didn't have that reaction, I'd have to confront my feelings.

Ok while writing this post the back pain got less while I didn't move. Man I'm actually excited to learn about TMS each day

See you tomorrow

Ellen likes this.
  2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Welcome to the Forum! I really like your post and the sense of optimism you express at the end. TMS recovery does provide us an opportunity to really get to know who we are. I hope you continue to share your discoveries along the way.

3. Hedger

Hedger Well known member

Insightful!

4. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

Check. I have been playing guitar for about 35-40 years. However I still am 'not good enough' and will only play extraordinarily rehearsed and perfected material.(in public... I play every day for myself)

to the unconscious this is rage inducing... I am never quite 'there' no matter how hard I work. Thus the need for a symptom to prevent that from coming into consciousness