1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Read a bit of Alan's recovery plan and symptoms usually being positional in nature

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by tgirl, Feb 14, 2016.

1. tgirl

tgirl Well known member

Any time I read something in the TMS readings that doesn't apply to me I get very discouraged. Alan says that in most cases a TMS sufferer will experience symptoms in one position or another. I have to say I experience my prickly leg skin sensations in most positions. There are times when it is far less intense than other times, but I can't really say what causes it to be worse. Night time while reading in bed it becomes nearly imperceptible, but cold wind for example will heighten it. It's almost like my legs have become over sensitized.

I hang on to anything that doesn't fit my situation and go back to thinking doctors have missed something:(

Does anyone else feel this way or have a comment about this? Thank you.

2. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Yup, normal for TMS. TMS is the volume control for the pain. When I'm feeling TMS'y, physical sensations and emotional ones get amplified. It's like when you get the flu and you feel achy all over. If you bump into something it feels more painful then normal, when there are many other distractions minimizing focus on the little stuff. When you're TMS'ying, what would normally be little stuff becomes the big stuff--from stuffing the emotions. Like Deepak Chopra says, "Staying home with the flu is the Western form of meditation.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
    billiewells and tgirl like this.
  3. billiewells

billiewells Peer Supporter

I completely agree with you, There is so much mention of pain and little reference to pins n needles, weakness and the whole gamut of Sciatic symptoms for example, that I have often felt TMS is not my diagnosis - although I know it to be true

4. Susan1111

Susan1111 Well known member

Tgirl I can only speak for myself my pain certainly didnt fit that criteria from the first time I felt it to the fortunately occasional time now. I was absolutely diagnosed with TMS! To me that is a way too general statement.
    What I do is this....when I feel a signal from my body I do two or three things. Firstly I do 4-7-8 breathing to calm myself, I the think what am I reacting to, and lastly I might quickly journal it.

I hope my experience helps you!

Warmly, Susan

tgirl likes this.
  5. AndrewMillerMFT

AndrewMillerMFT Well known member

tgirl,

It's quite natural to get discouraged when we read something that doesn't align exactly with our symptom patterns. It's easy for that doubt to creep in leading us to think that this may not be TMS and something else. Generally speaking, this is part of the process, many TMS clients begin an obsessive relationship to the when, how's and if's of their TMS symptoms. When does it happen, how does it happen, if this is really TMS. It happens so frequently that I am compelled to say that it is - itself - a manifestation of TMS. An "affective" manifestation just as we would see with OCD symptoms, depression and anxiety. I would encourage you to begin noticing when you're focusing on whether or not your TMS symptoms are real or something else and use the same tool-set from Sarno's books to deal with them, perhaps thinking of something in the psychological realm, something bothering you in your life, something stressful about your personality or an old emotional wound from earlier in your life or childhood. Then see if you don't feel so discouraged or focused on whether or not your symptoms are TMS at that time.

Best of luck to you!

Andrew

Susan1111, tgirl and Tennis Tom like this.
  6. tgirl

tgirl Well known member

Wow! Andrew I never really thought of it like this before. I read your post a couple of times trying to let it sink in. Thank you.

Thank you Susan and Tennis Tom. All this input allows me to feel a little less doubtful. I really have to stop second guessing myself.

I Think I have a lot of fear that my symptoms might get worse and that I won't be able to handle it. Where these fearful thought come from, who knows.