1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1 Re-starting

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by cokeefe88, Feb 8, 2016.

1. cokeefe88

cokeefe88 Newcomer

I was diagnosed with a herniated disc in October 2010, after a bout of excruciating back pain. I was a sophomore in college at the time. I'd been suffering from more or less chronic back pain since I was about 10, but never that bad before. I tried a number of things. The pain naturally declined somewhat over time, and it became fairly manageable. Standing and sitting for long periods of time—like long drives or flights, or a day at the mall or at a concert—are quite painful still. So I don't do that kind of thing much. I read Healing Back Pain about 18 months ago, and while I believed it intellectually from the first moment I read it, it still hasn't really helped my pain. I tried this tmswiki program about a year ago, and I had trouble sticking with it. But now, my wife and I are planning a trip overseas, that will involve lots of long flights, long car drives, and standing & walking around cities and in museums, etc. As I've been thinking about that, I've started to feel a lot of fear around back pain, because I know that in my current condition, that would be quite painful. So I'm starting over with this program, I'm about to start reading The Divided Mind, and I am firmly resolved to stick with this program each day for the next six weeks.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, cokeefe. I am glad you have returned to the SEProgram because it will help you to heal from the back pain. You know from reading Healing Back Pain that Dr. Sarno says a herniated disc may not cause pain, and that the pain comes from TMS emotions. You apparently did not discover the emotions causing your pain when you first did the program about a year ago. Now you have made up your mind to complete the program and that is a very wise decision. The Divided Mind is another excellent book with advice on TMS healing.

If it's any inspiration, I am almost 86 and not in pain. I had severe back pain three years ago and thought it was from when I lifted a case of 36 cans of beer at the supermarket, but then read Healing Back Pain and realized it was repressed emotions going back to my parents divorcing when I was seven.

I do not walk with a cane or walker and in fact this morning I shoveled two inches of snow off my front walk and driveway. It was light so I just pushed it off with the shovel and didn't lift. Not bad for an old geezer, and I totally believe in TMS healing me. It will heal you, too, and hopefully before you go on that wonderful trip overseas. Keep as active as you can in the meantime, and ignore any pain. It's natural for you to fear the extra activity of the trip, but focus your mind on healing and the wonderful trip.