1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Re-starting physical therapy

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by rain, Feb 3, 2019.

Tags:
  1. rain

rain New Member

Hi,

I used to do PT (and chiropractor, acupuncture, massage etc) last year till I found the TMS program last summer and gradually waned off of all doctor treatments/visits.

Now, I came across a couple of physical therapists who are trained in neuroscience/mind-body connection and have treatment approaches that appear to be more holistic than regular PTs.

I'm considering restarting PT with them and am wondering what your thoughts are regarding it. I don't much care about the semantics (Sarno said not to do PT, so I shouldn't be doing it) as I do about the fact that if I find myself doing it solely to get better, I don't think it will work. Ideally, I'd like to be doing to b/c it's fun and to strengthen myself, but I can't get myself to a point where I can think that right now...at-least not while I have daily pain.

Thoughts on how to approach this?

Thanks.

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi rain,

I think your thinking on this is pretty clear. Don't approach it as a way to treat symptoms, but rather as a therapy to give you some other benefits.

Dr. Schubiner recommends PT for helping clients overcome fear of using their bodies in ways that they've avoided for fear of hurting themselves, and increasing mobility. In other words, with a PT you have assurance that you're not hurting yourself by doing x,y, or z, and it is done mindfully, carefully, even if there is pain. Maybe this might help you get your "head straight?" ;)

Andy B

3. rain

rain New Member

Thanks Andy. I have to be careful not to go down the path of solely thinking structural. (I did that when I was doing PT prior to starting TMS program).

4. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

As a PT myself, though I don't (yet!) have a specifically TMS practice, I have shared it with some clients who are open to the idea and worked with them to improve their mobility, like Dr. Schubiner recommends. I definitely think it can be beneficial to get over the fear of movement!

5. rain

rain New Member

Thanks MindBodyPT. I hope it's a healing and strengthening process.