1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Rapid Oscillation Between Symptoms

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by jamejamesjames1, Aug 31, 2020.

Tags:
  1. jamejamesjames1

jamejamesjames1 Peer Supporter

TMS... cmon man!

I've had CPPS for about six months, and pretty bad dizzy/vertigo/off balance/"slow motion eyes" type sensations constantly for about three months before that with a week or so of a "bridge" between the two sets of symtpoms.

The CPPS had me all sorts of worked up and I went a bit nuts trying to understand / fix it all. There had a been a few times during this time where I "stopped" trying for a bit, and realized that while the pain wasn't necessarily any better I mentally felt a whole lot better.

Two weeks ago I really committed to this "stopping" approach. Not worrying about if I got my typical "healing" routine in of:
    -2x a day of "postive self talk"
    -Gratitude journal
    -Journaling about emotions
    -Journaling about "cognitive distortions"
    -Mindfulness
    -Breathwork
    -Reading TMS literature

Basically my life revolved around "healing" and when I would miss an activity I'd feel worse - thinking that if I don't full out assault this thing I'd only get worse and worse and that by doing all of this "healing" I was at least keeping at bay.

I've been taking the exact opposite approach the last two weeks where I just focus on not fearing the symptoms as much as possible and getting on with my life as much as possible. It's been much better for my anxiety, and after about a week things started going nuts....

My symptoms will shift ABRUBTLY between the pelvic pain and the dizziness. Abruptly AND completely in most cases. I'll be dizzy to the point I can barely sit up with no pelvic pain at all, and ten minutes later have super bad pelvic pain and no dizzy whatsoever. Usually it'll only last between 30 minutes and a few hours before it flips again.

I've been trying to same approach of just letting it happen. But I've probably "flipped" symptoms maybe 30 times in the last week. It is getting annoying and feels like it is never going to stop.

On one hand it's great because it proves both are TMS and that my not fearing it is causing a change.... but on the other hand it feels like my mind is doing this on purpose and not wanting to give up.

I know symptom imperative is a thing, but has anyone else had these rapid oscillations before between just two symtpoms?

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

YES!!!
    No buts! This is equally great, because it means exactly what you said! Your brain is desperately trying to distract you and freak you out and get you to return to your previous obsessive behavior where you're focused on the process rather than relaxing and risking letting any emotions through.

Your new approach is a huge improvement. When these things are happening, just keep breathing and talking your fearful brain down with what you know is the true knowledge.

Then consider what is going on emotionally that your brain wants to cover up. It doesn't have to be significant - it's amazing how many petty little daily things our brains want to repress.

TrustIt and Lizzy like this.
  3. Free of Fear

Free of Fear Well known member

I agree with Jan, this is great!

Hold on to your belief that this is TMS - believe it now more strongly than ever.