1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Rage-Soothe Ratio and Joy

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Ewok, Jul 22, 2017.

1. Ewok

Ewok Peer Supporter

I am feeling like all the joy has gone from my life. What do you do to bring more joy to your life? What soothes you? (I'd love to hear everybody's ideas and also some that can be applied when free time is very limited.)

2. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

Ewok, I feel for you! A few things I do when time is limited include listening to soothing or comforting music during my commute, listening to humorous podcasts, short meditation before bed, walk outside, text or phone call with a good friend, spending time with my cats. Anything that feels comforting though of course this is hard with limited time.

Ewok, FredAmir and plum like this.
  3. Lily Rose

Lily Rose Beloved Grand Eagle

Sweet Ewok .... the nature of the question creates constrictions and limitations. When you think in terms of 'free time', it squeezes the mind into a tiny box.

You have unlimited Time.

Life and Life-Events are two separate things. All of us must attend to Life-Events. But we do not need to devote so much time obsessing over those events. Thoughts tend to repeat over and over exactly what we 'have to do'. We become a bit frantic over getting these things done.

When you wish to set aside 'time' to work on your healing, it becomes one more Life-Event that must be dealt with.

Healing and practicing self-care is not a life-event. It is Life.

Notice how your thoughts rush and tumble over each other, then ..... interrupt yourself and insert a new thought "I am _______" Make a list of affirmations that you wish to practice and keep that list close by as a reminder.

The key word is Practice. We are just practicing, exploring. It isn't a pass or fail situation. It is evolution. We are evolving. Without mistakes, we do not learn, so practice often. The more you practice, the more powerful you become.

As you brush your teeth, remind yourself that you are beautiful and powerful and worthy. As you eat your food, consider what went into bringing that food to you (the farmers that harvest, the drivers that transport, etc), and feel the gratitude towards them. As you fold your laundry, whisper to yourself your list of power-words and visualize your invisible companions embracing you with Love. There are so many opportunities to practice and soothe and remind yourself of your radiance.

You ARE radiant, Ewok. It may not seem like it, but as you practice and practice and practice these affirmations between busy-thoughts, the words begin to reform reality ... and they become the Truth.

Believe in yourself.
    And know that everyone on this forum believes in you.

.... always with Love and Gratitude <3

4. Ewok

Ewok Peer Supporter

Thanks! They are great ideas. I particularly like the idea of funny podcasts. I haven't felt like listening to music but I suppose sometimes you have to listen to it and it will change your mood (rather than waiting to be in the mood to listen to it). Thank you :)

MindBodyPT likes this.
  5. Ewok

Ewok Peer Supporter

Lily Rose you are so sweet and kind. I teared up when I read your message. You are so right. I am making this hard for myself and I CAN do this. Thank you so much xx

Lily Rose likes this.
  6. Marla

Marla Peer Supporter

A walk in a area you love. Watching a feel good movie or reading a fun book. Calling or even texting a friend that makes you laugh. I snuggle up to my cat or my dog. Have a cup of tea. Take a hot bath with candles. Get a massage.

I am retired now but when I worked I would cut out funny office cartoons, Dilbert and others and pin up on my cubicle and for a quick soother at work I would read them.

Ewok likes this.
  7. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

I don't know if I have any special insights other than to relax into it and follow your passions. I think you're so very right to be thinking of the "soothe" half of the equation. That is absolutely key. We beat TMS by changing the channel on it: we add joy to our lives. There is always room for joy.

MindBodyPT, Ewok and Lily Rose like this.
  8. Ewok

Ewok Peer Supporter

I like the idea of 'changing the channel'. You're right. There might not be much time but there is always rooms for joy :)

Lily Rose and Forest like this.