1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 11 R-S-I? How about T-M-S.

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Regrowth, May 22, 2015.

1. Regrowth

Regrowth New Member

[2015/05/22]
    Armchair Linguist's success story really resonated with me. I developed bad wrist pain and tingling when I was in high school. It got so bad I even allowed myself to get talked into doing carpal tunnel surgery on my right wrist during college (like her, I too have used a keyboard all my life!). Unfortunately, the surgery did not help. Even now, I'm sitting here at my desk and I can feel the weird shooting tingling sensation crawl up my fingers. It gets worse with stress. Even more intriguing is this: I was a Computer Science major, and I knew that I would want to work with computers no matter what, so there was definitely a point where I said to myself "F it!" and continued using a keyboard and mouse, going about my business like normal. At first it was painful (especially at the end of the day), but what I've come to realize is that the pain has slowly decreased over the years. So yeah, I guess I've had some practice with TMS mitigation techniques without even realizing it.

IrishSceptic and Barb M. like this.
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Regrowth. You had carpal tunnel surgery and still have the wrist pain so it looks to me like your pain is not structural
    but TMS psychological. You may have conditioned yourself to expect pain when you are on the computer.

But you also may need to take more breaks from the computer. If I don't take breaks from the magic box I get stressed out.
    With me, it's a love-hate relationship. I am going to try to stay off the computer as much as possible this holiday weekend.

There was a power outage on my block two years ago and we were all without electricity for four days and nights.
    I had a wonder time just reading books and listening to a battery-operated radio for music, and took more walks with
    my darling dog. It was a vacation from technology. I may pretend there is another power outage this weekend.

For yourself, keep doing the SEP and see if you can discover a psychological cause or causes for your pain.
    You may not have any repressed emotions but you may have a perfectionist-goodist personality, which often
    results in TMS pain.

Good luck and keep us posted. Have a great holiday weekend and maybe give yourself a vacation from technology.

3. Regrowth

Regrowth New Member

Thanks for your encouragement, Walt! I'm with you on the "virtual power outage," it's probably something I need to do. :)

Hope you have a good holiday as well.