1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Questions on vaccines...

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Jesse668, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Jesse668

Jesse668 New Member

Hi everyone,
    I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this? I was finally starting to feel a relief of some of my TMS symptoms and had made a big step and booked a trip! In order to go, I needed a few vaccines. Since getting these a few days ago, my symptoms are terrible. I have such bad back and neck pain I don't know what to do with myself. Not sure if vaccines can make things worse, but it's making me question everything. If this is TMS, why is a vaccine making everything flare up?
    Any advice?

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Jesse. I doubt the vaccines caused you to have more pain.
    Unless you were allergic to them, but I doubt that.

What it looks like to me (I'm not a doctor or therapist), when you decided to take a trip it began
    to give you anxiety. Maybe your unconscious mind is using the vaccines to give you pain so you
    learn what TMS repressed emotions you have.

What trip are you booked onto? It's up to you whether you go ahead on the trip or get a refund if you can and
    put the trip off a while. If you go on the trip, it could be a real good thing because it would show your
    unconscious mind that you're going to ignore the pain. In those cases, people say their pain went away.

If you go on the trip, there's no need to worry that your pain will get worse so you might need medical care.
    That can be found anywhere. But your pain sounds like TMS which is psychological, not physical, so you
    don't have to worry about seeing a doctor on your trip.

If you decide to take the trip, tell yourself it's a great thing to do and enjoy every minute of it.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes.

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  3. Redditor

Redditor Peer Supporter

tc

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  4. Alex Bloom LCSW

Alex Bloom LCSW TMS Therapist

What vaccines did you get? Some vaccines have very midl symptoms that can come up, but your doctor would have notified you of these. Have you spoken to your doctor about what you're feeling? It is entirely possible that the symptoms are related to your TMS, but you want to make sure you look into all possibilities.

It is very common that after getting to a point where you are able to manage the pain, a sudden injury, or an illness, or any other sort of physical "disruption" will reignite symptoms. The subconscious mind is always looking for ways to try and keep you in fear and anxiety. I think the other day someone used the "whack-a-mole" metaphor: getting one area of pain under control can often lead to it moving around! This is simply a way for the pain to stay relevant for you and keep you distracted from underlying emotions. Perhaps what Walt said is accurate: you may be feeling some anxiety around the trip, but it could also be something else that is being pushed down.

5. Lily Rose

Lily Rose Beloved Grand Eagle

I cannot speak directly to vaccines, but I can say that any injection for any reason, will induce wracking pain that can last days or weeks or longer. I have finally taken the stance against anything being injected into my body. I can tolerate blood being drawn, but that, too, will induce a shocky reaction (extremely low blood pressure worsens this).

But injection .... no. With my history, it is very symbolic and reawakens the terror and shame and isolation. It is not the needle itself that trembles my consciousness, it is the violation to my body, the breach of my boundaries.

Upon embarking on any journey, stress will arise. Even if the journey is a joyful endeavor, the change in routines, the shift from safety to uncertainty, this can all create flares of pain, anxiety, and even disturbed dreams. It is important to tell yourself over and over ... I am safe, I am safe, I am always safe.

The ocean is my lure, and travelling to the coast to breathe the salty air is a balm to my soul, but my body flinches from being pulled from my carefully crafted safe-environment. Having items with me that invoke the feelings of safety certainly helps.

Meditation is another tool, and there are many here who offer wonderful advice on this practice.

Breathe, and believe in yourself and your strength.

with grace and gratitude,
    ^_^

Ellen likes this.