1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 5 Question! what fear?

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by RobertHodgson, May 2, 2014.

1. RobertHodgson

RobertHodgson New Member

Dear TMS wiki,

I have had TMS for two years now and have read Dr. Sarno's book 5 times! I know I have TMS and since I learnt that my condition is harmless I have started playing sport and working out again. I love the exercise because its the only time my body doesn't hurt… so I don't fear it? because I do it everyday with no pain. Its when I'm sitting at my desk, in the library, doing work, doing chores, basically all day that I have pain.

However Im sure I do have fear… Im a very anxious person… but can someone please tell me what I fear and how to solve this problem. I think I sometimes fear I won't get better but I am on day 5 of the TMS wiki and Im working hard at it and I know one day I will be better.

Any help from anyone would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert Hodgson, 20, UK

2. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

You are having pain because inside you are angry when you do what you don't want to do. So just learn to be mindful and relax while you cut the lawn and wash the dishes. That was one of the best lessons I have learned from my friends here at the tmswiki is to be mindful while you do the grocery shopping and actually enjoy the experiences. You will be amazed at how tranquil you can get while you heal. Living in a calm meditative state knowing that all is well according to Sarnos 12 daily reminders on p.82 of "Healing Back Pain" and the other lessons bronzed in your heart -- you should be fine. Continue the SEP for sure.
    A lot of folks will finish the SEP to soon and wont have time to let it soak in, let it all soak in like a sponge and all will be well.

nowtimecoach and Ellen like this.
  3. nowtimecoach

nowtimecoach Well known member

Ha-ha Well Robert, if someone could bottle up the solution to the problem of fear, they would be a very very rich person!! There are many ways to deal with fear and anxiety. I have to deal with it all the time. In fact, I didn't know I was such an anxious person until I started this program! And then I find out that Anxiety IS TMS! So I keep trying out the different solutions that our fellow tms'ers suggest and try to stay aware of when I'm feeling anxious in the moment. Mindfulness is an awesome state! Give yourself some credit that you're doing this program with such enthusiasm. I know you will feel better!

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Good adlvice, nowtimecoach.
    And I want to thank you for the kind words you emailed about my book with Herbie.
    It means a lot to us to know it can help people.

5. kindlethelight

kindlethelight Peer Supporter

Hi Robert, I am new to this forum but not new to questioning myself. I have realized that my fear is actually of success rather than failure! It is a very long story, involving a jealous parent who would not allow me to shine as a kid. And now, apart from the rage, I have a fear of shining and so I have to really do a lot of self-talking and soothing when my life is in good shape. I dunno. It's just a thought.