1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 4 Question to ponder

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Nattycakes, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Nattycakes

Nattycakes Peer Supporter

I really do think that most doctors want to "help" you... They just simply do the best they can with the education they are given and their belief system they hold.

The most disheartening thing I heard was with my back not my neck, when the doctor told me that if I didn't want to get cortisone shots or take muscle relaxers due to my bulging disc... That I would be forever in chronic pain. It was a nightmare and I believed him..... I am glad that it happened though, because it led me to other methods of treatment... Such as Doctor Sarno..

I have kept it in my mind now as a very positive thing because he was totally dead WRONG!!!... Just because someone's a doctor doesn't mean they're RIGHT! There are other ways to be healed and it's sad that people buy into that. Educate yourself, do your research, and get a second opinion and seek for alternative methods. I think that your emotions as well as diet and exercise have a huge part in your health. Going to a doctor, getting diagnosed, and taking a pill or getting surgery isn't necessarily the answer.

So crazy how I now pick up on other people complaining about IBS, back pain, neck pain, migraines and how much of it I truly believe is just a type of mind body disorder going on. I love talking about it with people and even though some of them may think that I'm crazy... If I can help one person than it was worth sounding like a complete lunatic :)

gailnyc likes this.
  2. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Natty,

I love your enthusiasm! It’s so important to keep a positive attitude, and I hope and feel really feel it deep inside. I think it’s great you can see that your doctors were trying to help you, while simultaneously recognizing that their physical thinking was setting you back. (Since you've gotten this far, I’m going to assume you have been checked out carefully enough so that you know that the TMS approach is safe and right for you.) There are always ups and downs in the road, but I think you’re going to heal very well, especially if you continue to approach your recovery with such a positive mindset. Having the wisdom to reframe seemingly negative incidents in the past into learning experiences is an admirable trait, and I think will only further your TMS healing. I hope to see you & your positivity around here more!

Best,
    Forest

Nattycakes likes this.
  3. Nattycakes

Nattycakes Peer Supporter

Thank you Forest! I think I will too :) I'm determined and fascinated by all of this stuff! And thank YOU for all of your work that you've done for this community!