1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 5 question to ponder

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by TheKingAdRock, Apr 15, 2016.

1. TheKingAdRock

TheKingAdRock New Member

Think of some activities you really enjoy doing. If you could do one of these activities without feeling stressed out, without having anxiety, and without worrying about your family, kids, job, etc. how would that feel? Why do you not do this activity more often? What steps could you take to do this activity stress free and without worrying about other things? Do this activity this week.

hmmm I'm actually a little confused on this one. all the activities I really enjoy doing are physical and the only reason I would have anxiety over it is due to pain or fear of pain. weight training and exercise in general is my favorite activity and I actually have been doing that regularly for a little over a month now.

one thing I have given up is playing/wrestling with my dogs outside. I actually did start to do this earlier in the year but haven't done it regularly. doing things like this in a more uncontrolled environment causes some fear of pain or 'injury' probably due to the notion that you shouldn't bend or twist and should always be careful not to hurt yourself.

I think the only step to doing this activity without fear is to do it over and over to reinforce that I'm not going to get injured doing it and even if I did get a legitimate injury like a sprained ankle or broken bone those things heal fairly quickly.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, King...You are doing the TMS-SEP healing correctly and it really helps in healing to keep active. You might want to read
    Steve Ozanich's book, The Great Pain Deception in which he tells how he kept playing golf despite hurting all over
    and it helped heal him. He just accepted the pain while he kept playing golf. It's the same in any exercise... if it hurts, say okay,
    but you're going to heal. Fight off your fear about making things worse.

I hope you can be playful again with your dogs. Just moderate play, not heavy until you feel better.

TheKingAdRock likes this.
  3. TheKingAdRock

TheKingAdRock New Member

yeah I'm really working on being indifferent to the pain. easier said than done obviously. thanks for the encouraging words