1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Question to ponder on Day 3

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by shmps, Jan 24, 2015.

1. shmps

shmps Peer Supporter

Question:
    When was the last time you exercised or did another physical activity? What was this activity? How did it make you feel physically and emotionally? If it is has been a while since you last exercised, why?

Last I worked out was in Oct 2014. I have been a regular gym goer. I have been working out for last 7-8 years 4-5 days a week. I love doing weight training. Ever since my pains started in Macrh 2014, everyone Dr. PT relatives friends family, said don't workout. Workout is the reason for pain. I didn't heed. I continued but started slowing down the frequency and weights. All my life i felt so good after working out physically and emotionally. Workout pulled me out of my divorce and any other trauma i faced in life. Workout was my life away from my real life. I loved working out. In Sep 2014 my pain symptoms reduced so i started increasing my workout frequency and weights. The symptoms returned with vengeance a month later and this time i got scared. I blamed that one day in Sept going to gym and doing barbell chest press...oh my neck has been stiff baldy just because of that day's workout and ever since then i stopped. I feared increasing the pain or damaging myself physically any more. I felt guilty that I should have listened to PT and not worked out. So since September 2014 i gave up what I loved the most, what made me feel happy, confident, truly powerful, away from all stressors....but since have started reading about TMS and now that i feel i have TMS and TMS but nothing else..I have decided to return to workout. Jan 25th 2015, I want start again. I know my unconscious mind will try to trick me...may send more pain but I am not giving up...I am yelling and telling my brain don't abuse or trick me..you cover is blown..send as much pain as you want since I am not stopping anymore and eventually you will have to go AWAY !!!!

Stella likes this.
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Two days ago I did some leg lifts to strengthen my legs.
    It felt good, but the next day my right knee began to hurt.

I'm 84 and I find that often, when I do even a little exercise, I wind up hurting.
    I probably need a personal trainer.

The best exercise for me seems to be just walking as much and as often as I can.

Of course, the knee pain is most likely from new emotions.
    I'm angry as hell at my boss. He's nuts. He wants, wants, wants, and wants it all perfect,
    but they he asks me to do something I've already done. I would have wasted hours if
    I had not stored my work on the computer and sent it to him (again).
    Then he emails me telling me to be more careful!

Ouch. Pain. Yes, TMS. I'm pissed at him and it shows up in my knee.

3. shmps

shmps Peer Supporter

Thanks Walt. And maybe I don't like doing what my boss is asking and have developed working on excel as a trigger point for my TMS pain. You are so right.

4. Stella

Stella Well known member

I have suffered with lots of physical pain and depression all my life. I never knew why.

5 years ago I moved my parents to the city where I live. My emotional and physical health took an extreme dive. My physical therapist suggested I read Doctor Sarno's book. The rest is history.

I never knew the impact of my brother's death on my parents particularly my Mother. She never could love us after after his death. She couldn't get close to anyone.

I have had a lifetime of health problems and depression, and feel lucky to be alive today. I was so angry at my Mother. And here I am taking care of them.

Now I know she did the best she could. Her childhood was very traumatic. She has numerous health problems too. I see her pain and sorrow, and desperate need to please others and the terrible fear of rejection.

I am so grateful for the TMS wiki and all the tools i have to manage my personality traits. Thank you Forest for your time and immense contribution.

Shmps, you will have great success.

shmps likes this.