1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Question to ponder day 3

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Nate, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Nate

Nate Peer Supporter

The last time exercised was about 4 months ago which for me is a long time. I was doing a lot of walking lifting weights and also bike riding which made me feel great although i still had some pain doin these activities but not enough to stop me. The thing is that sometimes some sort of exercise would make me pain free so i would do the same thing the next few days but then it would start to make me hurt more it was like i could never do anything right or figure out what was actually causing the pain.

I havent exercised since feb 2013 because i got real bad pain after doin leg press at the gym and sure it enough over the next few days it progressed to the point where i couldn't even walk or lie down. Now even on my good days i tend to make excuses not to exercise as of course im almost positive it will bring my pain level right up there! so i guess it scares me to do physical activity which i then become angry and when i have to miss work because of pain i get angry and feel useless lioke how will i be of ny use to my wife and future kids etc when im always so dependant! i also always afraid to run. Although never really a runner but the impact of it seems to agrivate the pain and again makes me angry as i was always very good at all sports growing up to the point where in my head i always knew i could beat somebody without even seeing them perform what ever it maybe and now i feel ive lost that!

2. gailnyc

gailnyc Well known member

Dr. James Alexander advocates a "pacing" program of getting back to exercise. He suggests starting with very short workouts--say 5 minutes. Then after a week or so of doing 5-minute workouts, increase to 10 minutes. The point is not to do "boom or bust" exercising where you're doing so much that you're a) scaring yourself (oh no, will I start hurting?) or b) over-exercising out-of-shape muscles, which will lead to pain, which will lead to a) scaring yourself.

So I would suggest starting back slowly with physical activity and increasing only when you feel confident about doing so.

Leslie likes this.