1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this link: http://go.tmswiki.org/newprogram
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (now US Daylight Time) . It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with MatthewNJ as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Question on dispelling anger...

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by PaulBlack, May 22, 2014.

1. PaulBlack

PaulBlack Peer Supporter

I have been having a bout in my shoulder and neck for a few weeks now and know that a constant source of my aggravation is my work place. (just a few people who just do their own thing, however, that goes against the work flow) so I know as long as I am there, I will have to deal with this.
    My question is..., do any of you use (for lack of a better description) temper tantrums, or a way to funnel the anger or get the anger released more? I workout a good bit, BUT, it seems it is just not the same as really punching a bag or getting something to whack on with a hammer or something and really venting my rage.
    At times I get to whits end with proper thinking, (and maybe too much repressing it) as it only seems to carry me so far!? I mean it seems I feel I get angrier when the pain stays around and just blasting something feels okay!? Am I defeating my purpose???
    Should I think of "being angry from work/job" or, exact situations at work/job, while I am beating on the sack and barking???

Last edited: May 22, 2014
  2. Sussex TMS

Sussex TMS Peer Supporter

I know I (and a lot of British men) use football to release their anger - usually shouting a the referee! But I don't know whether getting angry about something else is helping or making things worse? Sorry, that's probably not answering your question.

3. PaulBlack

PaulBlack Peer Supporter

Well, I saw a Rubenfeld Synergist years ago, (I never put that together with TMS/physical pain per se) but she actually had stuff in her office to use to take out your anger on!? I just wondered if it is something that alleviates brain/anger activity like a release of tension, using up or exhausting the energy or electricity in there, then maybe my synapse can path in a different direction??? I have no idea, but at times I just feel need to run out to my garage and punch the crap out of my bags.

4. hecate105

hecate105 Well known member

I tried to 'out' my anger by beating a mattress with a tennis racket - as suggested in 'Facing the Fire' by John Lee. But I just got hoarse! I found that using a meditation technique in another book (where you mentally go back to when you felt the anger and hit the person!) suited me far better! I hated doing it at first as it felt wrong and stupid - but it worked so well - in a few weeks I cleared a lifetime of anger! But everyone is different so I think if you feel a physical way is for you then just try it. I would suggest thinking about the situation/person whilst doing it too. As long as when you finish you calm down and mentally affirm with yourself that it is your way of dealing with anger/resentment etc and not really 'at' the person. I think it is a fundamental thing to do - we HAVE to deal with the anger/rage/resentment or we will get ill.

5. Walt Oleksy

Walt Oleksy Beloved Grand Eagle

When I worked in an office for a big corporation and hated it, I would get angry but
    had to find a nonviolent way to calm myself. I took a nice new pencil and broke it in half.
    It relieved my anger right away. I guess in breaking the pencil I was imagining myself
    hitting the boss in the face or kicking ass of the whole place.

hecate105 likes this.
  6. PaulBlack

PaulBlack Peer Supporter

Thanks again for the responses people.
    I guess whether it really works to dispel pain!?, I am on the fence, but I do feel the bag punching has helped of late as I do not seem so quick to anger and laugh off or actually don't seem to be quite as aggravated by certain situations.
    I really do not want that anger to go physical on someone (anyone) really, since it would seem to be a worse outcome for all involved. LOL

I suppose it will just be another tool in my tool box of therapy, to do battle against this whacky thinking.