1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Question - Moving Symptoms ??

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by joseph32, Jan 23, 2014.

1. joseph32

joseph32 Peer Supporter

I have a question for all the TMS gurus. I have fully accepted my TMS 2 months ago and have been progressing with my journey. I am not placing any time on my recovery and being mindful of each day and recently realized how much fear plays a role. I have not taken any pain medication for 11 days and have been just trying to live my life. I feel this has been good. I have had my anxiety come about 3 weeks ago.

My TMS symptom generally has been my lover back pain( 7 years). This has been better and less attention to it. Sometimes, I have no pain at all to this area. So here is my question:

Last night I had a good night sleep and had a great dream I was hanging out with some friends and felt great with no pain. Later when sleeping, I felt a couple sharp pains to my knee. I have never felt these pain before and it actually woke me up for a few minutes. I immediately thought of TMS and laughed, then fell back asleep. So then I wake up and watching some TV. I raise my arm to yawn/stretch and feel this pain in my left shoulder area, like I was working out four hours on my shoulder. It still is tense, and I also attribute this to TMS. I just find this so fascinating. Do I have this thing on the run? I really been having the "I don't care attitude about this TMS pain" lately. Is it trying to get my attention or what? Thanks for any comments on this.

joseph

2. Pingman

Pingman Well known member

Joseph - funny you should mention the left shoulder pain. I have done nothing aside from jogging and my left shoulder and neck have been hurting as well. It has always been a common place for tension to settle. It could be that you simply slept so well last night you didn't move as much and your shoulder tensed.

I think its a good sign!!

3. joseph32

joseph32 Peer Supporter

Yes, hope I got it on the run!

4. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

You have the perfect attitude for what you are experiencing. The I don't care attitude is an awesome tool. Keep using it ok. and yes its throwing you the best its got but you know that now, so rest assured you should be doing fine.:)

joseph32 likes this.
  5. chickenbone

chickenbone Well known member

I had a quick recovery 2 years ago when I heard of Dr. Sarno and read 2 of his books. Then later the pain came back worse than before and it was not so easy the second time, but I was successful. That was about a year ago. Then I entered the third phase which was (and still is ) rapidly cycling symptoms, such as GERD, LPR, sleeplessness, etc. In a lot of ways, this stage has been the worst. I think it is taking a long time for me because I believe I have had TMS all my life. The first time was when I was hospitalized at 3 years of age after having terrible stomach pains that woke me up screaming every night. They never found anything wrong with me. At 24, I had 8 months of back pain that kept me from working. Again, nothing wrong and it went away eventually. So the gremlins in my mind are used to having their way with me. So, to answer your question, yes, there is a stage in recovery where you can experience the "symptom imperative" that Dr. Sarno describes where it seems like you always have to have one symptom ruining your life, but not always the same one.

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  6. junkgrl

junkgrl New Member

Interesting. Since I have been reading and educating myself about TMS the last few days, I find that first one knee and then the other will really give me fits in the morning. Then my thumb. Now a couple of new spots of eczema (which woke me up itching my leg like crazy last night) The primary pain is in my right lower back and deep in my hip. I too am trying to have the 'I don't care" attitude. I am almost laughing at it--calling my mind really lame if it thinks I am falling for that again. I still have some pain in my hip but not nearly as much. I know this will take time. I know that emotions have given this to me but I am unclear what they are. I see myself in many of the characteristics of people, however.

7. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Hi junkgrl - You keep posting in the SEP and stay with your thinking emotional and journaling steps. Learn moderately and content.
    1 page a day ok or more if you wish. Soon you will be talking about how much better you feel too.

8. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

This is a great exchange of posts. Herbie gives great advice.

9. Emre

Emre Peer Supporter

Hi Herbie
    Is this i dont care attitude really a good way?
    i jerbie

10. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Emre glad you asked. If you already know all the rules then this is safe , yes. I believe what you mean is if it's something that might need medical attention -- right?
    I'd say there you would always get a Drs. advice first as we mention to do before beginning any program. Then if your Dr. says your ok and I think you'll be fine -- if you still think it could be something bad then go get another opinion.

When I talk about the ( I don't care attitude or ignore method) I'm assuming you already have the above bases covered and then yes it is very beneficial to get your mind off the physical and only on the psychological.

How far have you read into Sarno's works? How are you doing with your program? hope you have a great week.
    Thanks