1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Question and Advice: Thyroid issue?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by jim K., Jul 1, 2018.

Tags:
  1. jim K.

jim K. New Member

I need some wisdom and advice. I had fully, or at least I think I had, embraced my TMS diagnosis, and have been working on it for the past six months making marginal progress, but progress nonetheless. I have had some pretty good weeks, but then I return to the pain. ( joint pain, tingling numbness in legs, feet and hands) But I have showed progress and I do have some massive stressors in my life, etc. as well as the personality traits. Plus, a TMS doctor diagnosed me with TMS a few months back. So.. a couple of weeks ago, I have my annual physical and I have a low thyroid score. Not super low, but "borderline." My doctor, a good man who is trained in TMS. said we should re-test in six months. I fear this potential diagnosis lurking out there will undermine all my TMS efforts because now I have some valid doubts. ( which I am trying to ignore for now.) My potential thyroid issue could explain my symptoms and the thought that taking some meds that might possibly end all this pain, is tempting to consider. What would you do? Demand the meds? Move up the re-test? Seek another opinion? Or just jug along? In my heart, I do believe I have TMS, but still...

Balsa11 likes this.
  2. Time2be

Time2be Well known member

As far as I know is there no connection between low thyroid score and the symptoms you have. I find it wise to wait to re-test. You should try to listen to your TMS doctor. And rembember: you will always find something that could make all your TMS work superfluous. That’s how it works and you should not give in to this.

Ellen and plum like this.
  3. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

There is a brilliant doctor called Gabor Maté whose main work has been trauma yet he does not confine himself to the major horrors of life, he primarily addresses the petty, grinding minutiae that inflicts considerable wear and tear upon us all.

His ideas extend beyond the benign nature of TMS into how emotional repression and stress impact all the systems of the body, including the endocrine system.

In my early TMS days I wondered...doubted that our personality and emotions possessed such immense power but these days I am humbled. I see how powerfully our perceptions orchestrate harmony or havoc, and I understand how we can learn to become peaceful souls able to gently nudge our biochemistry and our health towards well-being.

I don't think meds are ever the answer unless we are desperate and need some help to reach and rest at a kinder place for a time. You don't sound like you are at this juncture.

Ultimately whether we face a TMS diagnosis, a borderline test result or the Grim Reaper himself we are best served by coming into our centre, soothing our scared minds and agitated bodies, and recommitting to emotional integrity one day at a time.

It's really not a case of TMS vs. Something Real. It's much more about Fear and Love and the nurtured ability to see the good and rest there.

4. jim K.

jim K. New Member

5. jim K.

jim K. New Member

A belated thank you for the insight. Going through a better streak right now. I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Balsa11 likes this.
  6. Balsa11

Balsa11 Well known member

3, 4 are pretty obvious, ask the doctor if 1 and 2 are applicable. Seems like this is mostly TMS so far.