1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Question about fear

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by tgirl, Mar 28, 2016.

Tags:
  1. tgirl

tgirl Well known member

I find I experience a lot of fear with my symptoms. The fear of the symptoms possibly never going away or getting worse consume me sometimes. It really gets me down. Do you think I might be afraid of other things or simply fearful of the pain I am experiencing?

Wouldn't you know it, I have recently developed pelvic pain in addition to my prickly skin sensations. I experienced the pelvic pain once before many years ago and it lingered for a few months. I was told it was probably pelvic tension. Having two different symptoms at once is a bit much for me right now.

2. hecate105

hecate105 Beloved Grand Eagle

It is happening to distract you from dealing with your TMS. Go right ahead and start the SEP (Structured Educational prog - on the TMSwiki site) if you haven't already. Start dealing with your repressed emotions/psychological stress and take it step by step. The fear will dissolve when it realises you are dealing with your TMS.
    Another good way of thinking about fear - it is a wasted emotion - it doesn't 'do' anything. If you sort out your 'stuff' and deal with what you can in the ways that suit you - THAT is something positive and productive. But fear is just wasting your time. This doesn't mean that you won't feel fear - just that you proceed with your programme - despite and because of that fear. Don't let it stop you carrying on. I have lived with paralysing fear much of my life - it seemed like a 'normal' thing to me. But it isnt. Now - i may still feel fear about situations but i carry on - as i plough through, the fear tends to dissipate on its own.
    Accept your symptoms cause you to be fearful - but get on with solving your TMS. Good luck!

tgirl likes this.
  3. MWsunin12

MWsunin12 Beloved Grand Eagle

Talk to yourself, Tgirl. I do, and it helps. Say: "I get it. I understand. You're scared." I think it was Louise Hay who advised to think of yourself at age 4 or 5 and imagine pulling yourself, at that age, up on to your lap now and say, "You're okay. You're safe. You can play and have fun now. Nothing scary is happening." (you might laugh at this thought, tgirl, but if you spent childhood feeling pushed aside or like you had to be good to keep peace, it really is powerful.) Peace to you.

hecate105 and tgirl like this.