1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Daniel L. ptsd and tms

Discussion in 'Ask a TMS Therapist' started by Guest, Sep 10, 2016.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

This question was submitted via our Ask a TMS Therapist program. To submit your question, click here.

Question
    Hi TMS Therapists, I've been learning and implementing from the audio sessions and Dr. Sarno's books since a month or two ago and I feel like my inner tension is getting better and I'm aware of all the pressure I put on myself to be perfect & good and how angry it makes me/pain symptoms. I'm grateful and hopeful.

My question is about complex PTSD and if it will naturally heal as I heal TMS. In particular the "night terrors" - Is it possible to end this horrible side effect of PTSD?
    Thanks, Sita in Arizona

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2016
    Mad likes this.
  2. Daniel G Lyman LCSW

Daniel G Lyman LCSW TMS Therapist

Answer
    Sita in Arizona,

Glad to hear you’re feeling hopeful!

PTSD and how it relates to TMS is a bit complicated, and I won’t pretend that I’m an expert on PTSD, but I will say that as you continue your TMS healing and change the relationship with yourself for the better, the PTSD should improve. Allowing your feelings about the trauma you experienced to surface will help reduce both the night terrors and the TMS. Those feelings currently reside in your unconscious, and they will continue to reside there until we make them conscious and allow for active participation in them. At that point, they will cease to cause any anxiety (the anxiety is manifesting itself in night terrors). I’d strongly encourage you to do that with the help of a therapist.

Sleep issues are very common in the TMS community. If you understand TMS as an anxiety disorder, then it makes perfect sense that sleep issues would be so prevalent, because one of the first symptoms of anxiety is difficulty sleeping. So hopefully the night terrors will reduce as you work through your TMS.

Keep up the good work!

Any advice or information provided here does not and is not intended to be and should not be taken to constitute specific professional or psychological advice given to any group or individual. This general advice is provided with the guidance that any person who believes that they may be suffering from any medical, psychological, or mindbody condition should seek professional advice from a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions. No general advice provided here should be taken to replace or in any way contradict advice provided by a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions.

The general advice and information provided in this format is for informational purposes only and cannot serve as a way to screen for, identify, or diagnose depression, anxiety, or other psychological conditions. If you feel you may be suffering from any of these conditions please contact a licensed mental health practitioner for an in-person consultation.

Questions may be edited for brevity and/or readability.

3. Mad

Mad Peer Supporter

I've got ptsd, and I do believe that it would improve.I'd definitely recommend working with a therapist though. I don't know what your ptsd is from... but I had night terrors for many years, amongst many other dangerous symptoms.

4. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

Have you looked at the work of Peter Levine (Somatic Experiencing)? Look him up on Youtube, there is a video of him working with Ray, the Iraq veteran who recovered from PTSD, traumatic brain injury and Tourette's - all result from IED explosion. His work is targeting PTSD specifically.

Good luck to you!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
    Mad likes this.