1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

PTSD 1946

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by eskimoeskimo, Apr 30, 2015.

1. eskimoeskimo

eskimoeskimo Well known member

John Huston was hired by the military to make a documentary regarding PTSD in 1946. Skip to minute 18:00 for a section that's highly relevant to TMS:

BruceMC, Forest and Ellen like this.
  2. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

Very good find, should probably move this to Pop Culture. How did you find this? TMS has been around since the first separation, talked about by Hippocrates and Paracelsus. But mankind decided it could outsmart Mothernature and heal the human body. But in the process it forgot about the human heart.

3. eskimoeskimo

eskimoeskimo Well known member

Hi Steve,

Actually at first I put it in pop culture and moved it here. I'm not sure if a 1946 documentary counts as pop culture. Something felt wrong about putting it in the same thread as Fraser clips. I'll move it wherever consensus suggests, where do you think it'll be most useful?

I heard about this film when it was mentioned as an inspiration for the movie The Master in an interview with the director, PT Anderson. Apparently, Let There Be Light wasn't released until 1981 because the military deemed it, well, not exactly good promotional material. They were hoping for a film that highlighted their efforts to look after returned soldiers. Instead, it highlighted the extent of the trauma.

Now where can I get ahold of a doc that'll treat me with the hypnosis drug? Can't Sarno just inject me with something like that and, while I'm out, whisper sweet nothings into my ear about how my neck pain is a trick?

I think modern medicine is great. The average lifespan has skyrocketed in the last 100 years, and not because of any ancient wisdom of the mindbody. But, yes, modern medicine has been slow to acknowledge the effects of psychology on physical health, because it's a bit harder to quantify. But that's changing too. Mindfulness meditation is mainstream now.

4. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

I'm not sure where this should be either. I'm somewhat forum-challenged myself. It's a great find, and reminds us that people have changed little throughout time. we don't like to be separated.

My personal opinion is that we live longer not because of modern medicine, but because we witness others living longer. Having that said that, I am a fan of modern medicine. It has improved the quality of countless lives. But it can't stop fear.