1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Psychotherapy Suggestions/NY

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by spiritualityscienceslay, Mar 12, 2017.

1. I have been going through the book, and am feeling good about the exercises. I am a pretty self directed person, but what I am coming up against are more serious childhood/abusive relationship issues that I'd like to work with a psychotherapist with.

Any suggestions on good psychotherapists in NY who understand TMS and/or suggestions about how to go about finding one?

Are there particular types of psychotherapy that work better for different types of psyches etc.?

Any other advice I may not be asking questions about?

2. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

Kirsten is the best I've seen in NY. She gets it, and trained with Dr. Sarno, of course. Everyone I've sent her way has been happy with her.

The only other thing I would add is that you don't need a therapist to heal. Most people think they do, but they don't (which is why Dr. Sarno said his patients were sometimes "wandering all over" in therapy). However, if there are things you would like to go over in your early life then Kirsten is amazingly intuitive and compassionate.

The type of therapy is not as important as the connection with the therapist, having said that CBT does not work by itself, and is only a tool in the process. I have MDs and psychs telling me how great ISTDP is but I haven't seen it work yet. A very high number of people have told me that it brought up all kinds of rage and past feelings but that it didn't do anything for their symptoms. But belief is still the key to healing, if you can believe in anything deep enough it will always work, whether is does anything or not, like surgery, EFT, chiro, leaches, magnets, vertebroplasty, open label pills, etc. That's why you need to believe in the therapist you work with, then it will have a more meaningful impact. Kirsten is a loving and intelligent woman with great experience. so people connect with her.

http://www.kirstenfliegler.com/ (Dr. Kirsten Fliegler | Psychotherapy and Neuro-Psychological Assessment)

No matter what you do you have to believe in it, and in yourself. You alone are creating your symptoms only you can let them go.

SO

3. Thank you so much Steve -- these words were so helpful. I had actually come to Kirsten through independent research, so I will definitely try to get an apt with her!

"No matter what you do you have to believe in it, and in yourself. You alone are creating your symptoms only you can let them go."

Reminds me of mantra I find powerful -- That my mind is in control of every thought it has. Definitely, simultaneously, the most terrifying and liberating feeling and realization I keep coming back to.

4. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

That quote is amazing, the person who said it must be a genius. Or insane, either way.

The mind is the hell, the governing force over our interpretation of events. Everything begins with the thought. What was it that Milton said about the mind? "The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven."

If you aren't healing it's because of resistance. You may just need to let go of the diversions through measured means, in your own time and at your own pace. A good guide will do that for you.

Good luck!

5. EricFeelsThisWay

EricFeelsThisWay Peer Supporter

I definitely concur with @Steve Ozanich's assessment that therapy is not necessary to heal. HOWEVER...if you have unresolved concerns from your past that you think would be helpful to talk through, therapy is great. I worked with Fran Anderson in NYC and I am very fond of her ;)