1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Psychological Thought and Why ask Why?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Eric "Herbie" Watson, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Psychological Thought
    psychological thought always sees itself
    Psychological thought must see itself, and can also see logical and pathological thought.
    Psychological thinking is self-evaluating—it progresses by reflection. It has as a goal understanding, and evaluates each step in light of that goal.
    A sort of quintessential goal of psychological thought might be the understanding of psychological thought. A more commonplace goal might be understanding a personal relationship. Let us take the latter as an example of how to think psychologically:
    I wish to understand why I am upset by R.
    Why do I wish to understand this?
    Because I am having difficulty in my relationship with R.
    So?
    I wish to understand the causes of my difficulty with R.
    Why?
    I want to work productively with R, and this difficulty is inhibiting my work.
    Why, what exactly inhibits my work?
    R has information I need to draw on and yet I so dislike our interaction that I do not draw on this information as often as I need to.
    And so on. So already there is progress in psychological thinking. By reflecting on each statement, asking 'why?' at each step, I arrive at a more succinct understanding of the nature of the difficulty.
    The example sounds not unlike the typical description of the therapist responding to someone on the couch. In one sense, it is not unlike that, this is after all psychology. But in many ways it is very different. First of all, the questioner has access to the subject's very thought and feelings directly. That is, I watch myself formulate my wish, I watch myself pursue it. And I tailor the questions by keeping in mind—really in feeling—what it is I wish to accomplish or discover. This requires active reasoning and divided attention. We have to watch our feelings as much as our thoughts, watch them interact and influence each other. Keep to the aim and yet learn from the deviations, and we often learn the problem was not exactly as expressed but coming from somewhere else.

I do not know who the author is that wrote this. I know I saved it to my think list over 2 years ago. It was time to share it here. Hope it all makes sense.
    Bless You

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
    Msunn and LindaRK like this.
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Herbie, I love this. You saved something very important and useful.
    You might find its source by a google search of the word relationship.
    But if you can't find the source, you can quote it until you do. No one will sue you.

I wish you could have a tv talk show where you share your wonderful ideas and techniques for TMS healing.
    The next best thing, and maybe just as good or better, is to make more YouTube videos
    and post them on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube. And when you have enough of them we could make a CD or DVD of them.
    CreateSpace does that too, and free.

Msunn and Eric "Herbie" Watson like this.
  3. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

Excellent Herbie, good find...it all begins with a single thought, and it always has to do with relationship. There's no life without relationship, or thought. In the beginning was the word, everything began with it.

Msunn and Eric "Herbie" Watson like this.
  4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

I'm finding the best new relationships on the TMSWiki, like you, Steve, and Herbie, Forest, Becca, and
    the frequent posters.

Steve, a question. I've been watching some of the televangelists on two "God" channels sometimes in
    the evening rather than pollute my mind with network stupidity. In general, are televangelists sincere
    or phony, just in it for the money. Some of them really have become rich from spreading the Word.
    Do most of them really believe what they preach? I suppose they do good whether they believe it
    themselves or not.

5. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Thanks Walt. I plan on making more videos soon. I just had a lot of different projects come up all at once but in about a week or two I'm going to start making the you tube videos about all things mindbody/tms. I appreciate what you said about the talk show. That is something I want to do for sure, making myself available with free workshops after my move to Texas is my first step in that direction and our book should really stir the waters.
    Bless You

Msunn likes this.
  6. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Thanks Steve. I totally agree, everything is relationship. I like that " In the beginning was the word and the word was with God "
    Bless You

7. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

The Kindle version of our book is now available, from amazon.com kindle.

The paperback from amazon.com will be available in a few more days.

Ellen and North Star like this.
  8. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

Walt, I look for the book under your name and Herbie's but didn't come up with anything. How about posting the link? I'm eager to read it!

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  9. Eric "Herbie" Watson

10. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

Thanks, Herbie! I just bought it for my Kindle. I know it will be fantastic.

Hugs to you and Walt…I know this was a labor of love in addition to just being a great book.

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.