1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

psycho support please?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by JoeB1, Sep 11, 2015.

1. JoeB1

JoeB1 Peer Supporter

I'm at day 40 on the SEP and last week was a tremendous milestone week for me. It was the best I've had in about a year. Bending, weight lifting and working 32 hours almost like a normal person! This current week was going quite well until yesterday I was feeling stressed from not being able to sleep and now this morning I woke to a mega back pain relapse.. so much that I won't be able to work today. I'm telling myself that this is PPD on its way out kicking and screaming just like a little kid, but could use some more helpful words of encouragement if anyone has some. Thank you!

cirrusnarea likes this.
  2. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

I'm no psycho, but willing to support :)

Congratulations on reaching day 40, that's amazing progress. I can imagine you have now built up an evidence sheet to confirm it's definitely TMS.

Try not to get discouraged by the relapse, we've all been there - what matters is not to get too consumed in it. I know it's easier said than done, but try and shift your your thinking of how great it was to be pain free last week. I would also recommend looking into EFT, it's helping me a great deal.

Good luck and please don't beat yourself up over it, it's a small obstacle which you will definitely overcome.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
    JanAtheCPA, SunnyinFL and Grateful17 like this.
  3. JoeB1

JoeB1 Peer Supporter

Lol! I appreciate your encouragement and advice, Mike! I'm definitely familiar with EFT. I try to tap on Sarno's 12 mantras daily. What other taps do you do?

4. mike2014

Hi Joe,

For your particular pain, i would try these...

EFT Back pain

EFT Pain

All the best

SunnyinFL likes this.
  5. JoeB1

JoeB1 Peer Supporter

Awesome! Thanks man!

mike2014 likes this.
  6. Grateful17

Grateful17 Well known member

JoB1,
    I have had many setbacks along my road to recovery and someone once said something to me that helped. She said ......"HOW YOU REACT WHEN YOU ARE IN A SETBACK WILL DETERMINE HOW LONG IT LASTS AND HOW WELL YOU MOVE THROUGH IT."....

That has proven to be true. When we rise above the symptoms and not let them scare or preoccupy us, we win the battle. Most of all be patient and compassionate with yourself. The hardest thing to do is to NOT RESIST. What we Resist will Persist. So not fighting with, or monitoring, or problem solving with the symptoms will help you. This has helped me tremendously.

riv44, JanAtheCPA, SunnyinFL and 2 others like this.
  7. mike2014

I think this is key, most people who are on their journey are usually stuck in their old way of thinking.

SunnyinFL likes this.
  8. JoeB1

JoeB1 Peer Supporter

Thank you for that Grateful. I needed to be reminded of that! I will try to not be upset, scared or concerned over it. I will accept it as part of the process of healing. I am still on the road traveling in the right direction. This just happens to be a large bump in that road, but it will get smooth again and I'm still moving forward.

And thank you for confirming that mike.

Also, I didn't even realize how much of a tendency I have to problem solve the heck out of every little pain spike. I just need to change my thoughts into something else and just stop trying to solve it.

AdamRelus, mike2014 and Grateful17 like this.
  9. mike2014

Very true, I try and analyse everything. I need to let go of that way of thinking, it has got me where I am today.

10. AdamRelus

AdamRelus New Member

Me as well, being new to this I have been taking such an analytical approach to each flare of pain. I want to do a better job of thinking quickly what is bothering me and then simply tell my unconscious I REVOLT from any pain you want to send my way. And get on my daily way.

Joe it sounds to me like you have come such a long way, keep it up!

JoeB1 and mike2014 like this.
  11. IndiMarshall

IndiMarshall Well known member

loll

12. IndiMarshall

IndiMarshall Well known member

great one
    Forest has similar status message ... i think this is the key

'TMS healing is all about changing how you respond to the symptoms.''

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
    JoeB1, Grateful17 and SunnyinFL like this.
  13. JoeB1

JoeB1 Peer Supporter

Thanks AdamRelus!

riv44 likes this.
  14. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, JoeB1. I've been in the setback mode too and can assure it it will pass.

I've used distraction to help deal with pain. I spend time doing things I like and thinking things that make me feel good or happy.

I had trouble sleeping too, but found a really good thing called "Sleep Aid." It's a natural supplement from Costco, their brand called Kirkland. Very cheap, one a night before bedtime, and I fall asleep fast. It compares to Unisom. You might give it a try. I got it by main from amazon.com

JoeB1 likes this.
  15. JoeB1

JoeB1 Peer Supporter

Thanks Walt! I'm already feeling better. Not back to my best, but getting there! Thanks once again for the tips. I'll have to give Sleep Aid a shot. I sometimes use Somnapure, but it's a little more expensive and sometimes I don't sleep it off and I feel groggy. I've found there's definitely a direct correlation between how well I sleep and how much pain I have the next day. It makes a lot of sense. If I don't get a decent night's sleep, I automatically start the day feeling stressed and then continue feeling stressed throughout the day. So I gotta try that Sleep Aid next!

16. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

I use "Sleep Aid" too sometimes and find it works. It is a type of antihistamine called doxycycline, so not a "natural supplement". I wish it was, but it is available OTC and is as safe as taking another OTC antihistamine commonly used for sleep--diphenhydramine (Benadryl).

JoeB1 likes this.
  17. JoeB1

JoeB1 Peer Supporter

I used to really be concerned about things being "natural" and organic, but now my priority is my stress level and I've found a person could go crazy and broke trying to do everything organic and natural. Just gotta do the best you can with it.

riv44 likes this.
  18. mike2014

High levels of stress can be intolerable,I've experienced quite a few myself.

There is a free on line mindfulness course in October which you may wish to participate in.

Try not to rush your healing and as Ellen suggest, take some meds if they help.

Please be a little easier on yourself. As long as you are doing the work and enforcing your belief, know that you are on the right path to healing.

JoeB1 likes this.
  19. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Hey Joe, these two go together:
    In other words - when you don't get a "decent" night's sleep you have already decided how you are going to feel the next day.

Can you make a conscious decision to change your mind about the experience of not sleeping your best?

Great discussion, everyone!

PS - OTC pain relievers are now known to take the edge off emotional stress and pain as well as physical pain. I sometimes pop a Tylenol when I'm feeling particularly stressed out and anxious. Then I "use" it to visualize calming down and sleeping better, and I do a short little mindfulness meditation when I go to bed.

JoeB1 and mike2014 like this.
  20. riv44

riv44 Well known member

For me, distraction and positive thinking mean that I am postponing dealing with emotions. So that doesn't work for me. Also,writing about the past makes me feel stuck and mired I have a lot of awareness about the past. My pain grew from fear and anger and sadness in my present life. The TMS concept has 100% changed my outlook about how I respond to pain. I have done another piece of work that is not in the SEP--I don't think so anyway, because I stopped the SEP and am selective about how I use Schubiner. I will put it in a new thread.

JoeB1 likes this.