1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 19 Proud

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by valerie, May 20, 2013.

1. valerie

valerie Peer Supporter

Since I started this program, I think the most proud thing I've done is told my mom about Dr. Sarno and the diagnosis. She is a nurse, I didn't know how she would react. I did know that she really believes in a mind-body connection so I didn't think she'd think i was crazy but I thought she may be worried that they just never found anything wrong and that maybe there was something else (she did think i might have a strange disease from swimming in water with elephants on my honeymoon after all - of course my husband thought that too - although he is fine.
    Anyway, I told her last weekend when I was home for mothers day and she was very supportive. And throughout the weekend when she asked if I needed to be careful or sit differently because of my back, I kept telling her I'm fine - and I will do it.
    she says she is proud of me for it and is reading my copy of the Mind-Body Connection right now :)

gailnyc likes this.
  2. Lori

Lori Well known member

Great! Thanks for sharing your experience. :)

3. mousemom

mousemom Peer Supporter

That's great. I have tried to tell my family and they all look at me like I am crazy :) My mom keeps suggesting surgery. I just had a lower back attack last Thursday and still sitting here at home trying to get back to normal life but I have not told my mom because I know what she will say and it will just make me mad and I don't need her to distract me with her suggestions right now. How is your progress going??

4. valerie

valerie Peer Supporter

I am doing pretty well so far. When I read the book, I was taking tons of pain meds and couldn't even sit on the couch without pain. I woke up every morning with severe pain in my knee and upper thigh. Now I am off all the meds, sit to work all day again, have taken a few flights, and have started exercising again. Yesterday I even went for a bike ride, something I haven't done for a year because I thought it was the source of all my pain (I did a 100-mile ride last June).
    My knee still is painful at times. I am pretty good about mentally banishing it but it hasn't completely left. I don't let it rule my life anymore regardless. My theory is that because it is the only body part I did not have scanned or evaluated in the six months of doctors and therapies, that it is still trying to convince me to pay attention it it. All the doctors said there was nothing to indicate that there was anything wrong with my knee, and that my back pain had referred down my leg, that was what was causing it.
    I have to say I feel a bit crazy still talking about it to others. But every day I feel more and more confident that TMS is the right diagnosis. It sucks that your family is still skeptical, but your healing will be all the proof they will need. stick with it!

5. mousemom

mousemom Peer Supporter

Thanks! I am happy to know that you are better. I can't wait to exercise again without worrying about the pain.

6. valerie

valerie Peer Supporter

I started with just a short walk, the day after I read the book. Don't be afraid to start small!

mousemom and gailnyc like this.